Monday, December 6, 2010

Bacon wrapped pork cutlets

Bacon wrapped pork medallions 1

See I have been cooking. In between wrapping presents, painting gifts, grunging up some homemade ornaments, decorating the outside, getting presents ready to ship, putting up the tree, and trying to finish The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (I'm so close to the end!) I really am cooking too.

This is the week when I like to have things pretty much wrapped up for holidays. I don't want to go to any more stores, I wanna have everything wrapped and ready and I want to finish up all my homemade gifts. I need the last few week of December to be all about the food and really enjoying the season, so I put myself through a week of chaos. The house is a disaster, the dusting doesn't get done, the table is covered in crafts, and dinners are quick and easy. So yeah, I've been a wee bit busy, but these guys I live with gotta eat, so that means I have to take a break and cook up some vittles. Whoaaa, flashback to Ellie May Clampett.

Since everything is better with bacon, I thought I'd wrap some around some pork cutlets.

Bacon wrapped pork medallions 2

There is really no "recipe" per say.

I bought some boneless pork cutlets and gave them a nice rub with my rub mix. You can use any mix that floats your boat, here's mine. I keep a quadruple batch in a mason jar so I always have some on hand.

Lisa's Spice Rub
4 tablespoons paprika
4 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons ground cumin
4 tablespoons brown sugar
3 tablespoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon oregano
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
If you like it hotter you could add 1 tablespoon of cayenne too

I gave them a good rub on both sides and let them sit all day in the fridge. Then I wrapped them in thick cut bacon and secured it with a toothpick. You could soak the toothpicks before, but I always forget. No biggie, they just get a little charred. If one strip of bacon isn't big enough to go all the way around the cutlet, then just cut another one in half and use that as a filler.

Grill 'em up, let them rest for 5 minutes and then dig in!

The bacon adds some juiciness (and deliciousness) and the rub really gives the pork so much flavor.

A pretty quick and easy dinner to throw on the grill when your life gets a little hectic during the holidays.

Bacon wrapped pork medallions

3 comments:

TKW said...

Wrap anything in bacon and you've got me sold! I haven't thought of the Beverly Hillbillies in years--thanks for the blast from the past!

Anonymous said...

Crap, you couldn't have posted this yesterday? We had pork chops last night and I SOOO would've done it that way. Ah well...next time, for sure! Thanks, Lisa! ;-)

Becca said...

mmm those look soooooo good! Gorgeous photos too!