Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Roasted Butternut Squash and Pearl Onions with Olive Oil and Thyme

Butternut and Pearl Onions3

Ready for some veggies? After all the chocolate and cookies and cakes, all I'm looking forward to between Christmas and the New Years Eve bash is some veggies. I've made these a few times in the past month and they are mine all mine. I say that cause there really are certain things that are just mine.

I don’t have to share them with anyone else.

Being the only female in a house filled with testosterone can sometimes have its challenges. Ask me how many times I’ve almost fallen in the toilet in the middle of the night cause no one puts the lid down? Go on…I’ll let you…lots of times!

There are some perks though:

No one ever borrows my clothes, or mixes their underwear up with mine. I don’t have to worry about anyone taking my nail polish, or wearing my sandals.
I'm treated like a queen on Mother's Day.

Since I'm the only crier in the house, they instinctively bring me tissues when I'm watching Oprah or a sad movie.

Sometimes it’s nice being the only girl.

Butternut and Pearl Onions1

Since I live with a bunch of picky eaters, I don’t have to share certain food with them either. Some of the food that are mine all mine:

Cabbage
Pomegranates
Chestnuts
Squash - of any kind.
Eggplant
Spinach
Swiss Chard
Bakala (salted Italian cod)
Rice Pudding

The list could go on and on. The nice part of not having to share is that I get to make some dishes just the way I like them. No catering or worrying about anyone else eating it but me.

This is one of those dishes. It’s simple. There really is no recipe but I’ll write down how I prepared it for you. It's the perfect chilly weather food too.

Butternut and Pearl Onions2

I love to pop this in the oven, and let the aroma fill the house. Then I selfishly sit wrapped in a blanket and eat every single bite.

No sharing.

Sometimes that’s a good thing.

Butternut and Pearl Onions1

Roasted Butternut Squash and Pearl Onions with Olive Oil and Thyme
1 medium butternut squash, but into cubes
1 package frozen pearl onions (I got mine at Trader Joes)
2 tablespoons fresh thyme (I got mine in the garden, lol, the frost hasn't killed everything yet)
Enough olive oil to coat
salt & pepper to taste

Grab a big bowl and toss in your butternut squash. Nuke the onions a little so that they are not still frozen, but not completely thawed either. Mine felt a wee bit cold in the center. Toss those in the bowl too. Add in the fresh time. Now drizzle the olive oil all over until everything is nicely coated but not drenched. Salt and pepper to taste.

Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment and bake at 450 for to ...... or until the edge begin to caramelize. Cool slightly (just enough so you don't burn your tongue off, not that I've ever burnt my tongue trying to eat food that was too hot!). Eat. Don't share unless you want to.

6 comments:

Blog is the New Black said...

LOVE bq squash. Your recipe looks amazing!

Unknown said...

Delish...nothing is mine at my house...all leftovers are gobbled up by my hubby too...booo

Rocquie said...

Yes, Lisa, all I want to cook and eat is vegetables. Thank goodness my husband likes them too, because I've already warned him that's all we having for a while. Your butternut squash and pearl onion dish looks marvelous and I will be trying it. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Dana @ Cooking At Cafe D said...

Pearl onions.
I never have them around - yet I love them! Good reminder, Lisa. :)

Janet Marie said...

Ooooooo...this look soooo good. Simple is good. :)

Antwerp said...

Now this looks fantastic!!