Monday, December 13, 2010

Holiday Pretzel Rings - a sweet & salty treat.

Holiay Pretzel Rings 4

As I wrote in a previous post, we are all about the sweet and salty treats at our house. There is just something about the combination that we all love.

What I love even more is that this recipe is so darn simple a 3 year old could make them...or even my husband! Ha ha! Sorry hunny.

Truly, this is one of the most simple treats in the world to make. I'm sure they have made their rounds on the net, just like the pretzel/rolo/turtle thing. The hardest part for me was finding the round pretzels. I had every member of the family on the hunt for them, even my in-laws in Ohio. My sister-in-law finally spotted them at Aldi.

Holiay Pretzel Rings1

Another nice thing about this recipe is that you can make as much or as little of these as you'd like.

We made a batch, that disappeared very quickly. John was eating them like popcorn.

We made another batch for me to bring to work, cause once I told people about them, it was highly recommended that I make more to bring in for taste testing. Cheeky monkeys.

They devoured them at work. I had every lady in the office going to buy round pretzels!

Holiay Pretzel Rings

Here comes the complicated directions.

Holiday Pretzel Rings

Round pretzels
Hershey kisses * see note

Preheat the oven to 350.

Line a baking sheet with parchment. Unwrap as many kisses and you'd like to make. Honestly, unwrapping them takes up the most time. We found that placing a kiss on the baking sheet and then dropping a pretzel over the kiss worked the best.

Pop them in the oven for 2 - 3 minutes. Just until they get soft, but not until they melt. You want them to retain their shape. As soon as they come out of the oven, gently place an M&M on top of the kiss and push down slightly to fill the pretzel with chocolate. Stick the baking sheet in the fridge until they firm up. Store in an airtight container.

* We used the caramel kisses for half our batch. So good!

Now we want to go out and try all kinds of kisses with these. I was also thinking of topping some with a pecan half....hmmmm.

Can you imagine the almond ones with these, or the hugs....the meltaway centers...dark chocolate with mint...cherry cordial...the delicious possibilites are endless.
Post a Comment