Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Sneak a peek.

Christmas around the house 2010 3


I love decorating for Christmas. It's a stree-free, exciting thing for me. I love pulling all my treasures down from the attic, I love unwrapping the ornaments and I love walking around the house and setting all my Christmas stuff out.

You will notice I do not have one of those perfectly, perfect houses, where everything is intricately placed and ready for the pages of a magazine. Our Christmas decorations are like our lives....simple, and rustic and homey.

I wouldn't have it any other way.

Everything is very homespun and "earthy", just the way I like it.

I filled my little tin cup up with black beans and stuck a grungy candle in it.

Christmas around the house 2010 5

My primitive bowl filled with pine cones and dried fruit and candy canes.

Christmas around the house 2010 2

A little candle in a wooden box.


Christmas around the house 2010 1


Remember that other wooden box I picked up last week?


Christmas around the house 2010


Now it's filled with a baby pine and some glittery pine cones.

My kitchen windowsill. There is a mister for Mrs. Snowman on the other side.


Christmas around the house 2010 18


The cutest baby mouse peeking out of an old stocking.

I just love him.


Christmas around the house 2010 17

I collect bottle brush trees. It's an obsession. My forest has grown and grown over the years. It's resides on top of the entertainment center. Here's the left half:


Christmas around the house 2010 8



Here is the right half:


Christmas around the house 2010 9


Here's the whole things. Yeah, there's a lot of 'em.




Christmas around the house 2010 10


Oh yeah, I'm also into Santa's in non traditional colors. This is the Santa in the "woods".


Christmas around the house 2010 15


I love that he's in gray. How many times do you see Santa in gray?

I also love my little Santa hat on top of one of my trees. It is red, but it's adorable.


Christmas around the house 2010 16


Some candy canes I made last year...or the year before... I can never remember.


Christmas around the house 2010 14


The big dough bowl in the middle of the living room table.

Christmas around the house 2010 13



My other Christmas obsession...mercury glass. It's so sparkly, I just can't resist

Christmas around the house 2010 12


I've had this basket for years and years and years. I just adore it.

Christmas around the house 2010 11



One of my most prized possessions. A Santa that my Uncle Al and Aunt Claire bought me. It makes me think of them every time I see it.


Christmas around the house 2010 7


Yup that's more mercury glass.

The tree.

It's a big one this year.

Tree 2010


9 1/2 feet and a little blurry. I took the picture in a hurry.

This tree is gigantic.....all the better to hold all my precious ornaments!!!! Bahhhahhhhaaaa! I couldn't even get the whole tree in the picture.

I would have taken a few outside shots, but it's just too darn cold to do it now.

So that's my little peek into our Christmas house. Like I said, it's nothing fancy, but it warms my heart and makes me smile (and isn't that what Christmas is really all about anyway?)

3 comments:

Alicia Gregoire said...

Aw... I love all the pictures!

Amy said...

Lovely! In our house, my favorite decoration are stockings that my mother made for my family. Each one adorns our name in small caps...except Trevor's. His name is all caps because his was made two years later and she forgot. I think it's hilarious.

Thanks for sharing, Lisa. I love the holidays.

Kim said...

You do country in the coolest ways. I really dig your little primitive stocking ornaments-- so clever!!! You have lucky friends, fam, and neighbors.