Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Chicken Portobello Stroganoff

Chicken Stroganoff

I have to tell you all that I accomplished something that I've been saying I was going to do forever and just never got around to it.

I organized all my recipes! I was practically giddy about it. I just sat down one Saturday and grabbed them all and started categorizing. I put each category in a folder and then into hanging file folders, then those went into a pretty wicker basket.

I won't tell you how long it took me to find a basket that held the hanging file folders perfectly, or that I looked like a kook keeping one of the hanging folders smushed up in my purse so I could "test" it out on the basket. Let's just say it wasn't easy. I did finally find the perfect one at Target.

So all my recipes are categorized and are in order. Now if I could only do that on the blog. I keep saying I will but I just never have the time to do it. *sigh* someday.

The only problem with going through all my recipes? I wanna make like 40 of them right now!

It was hard looking through so many without salivating. This recipe was on a little scrap ripped out of a magazine. I almost couldn't read the source but I finally did make out that it was from Taste of Home. I'm actually getting better about keeping some info with the recipe now so I know what the source was.

This just sounded easy and delicious and it was.

My youngest doesn't even like mushroom and he ate this. He just gave them all to his brother. Two happy boys.

Chicken Stroganoff 3

Chicken Portobello Stroganoff
adapted from a recipe at Taste of Home.com
1 lb ground chicken
12 ounces baby Portobello mushrooms cut into thick slices (I used 1 and a half pkgs of baby bellas)
1 shallot, chopped (or small onion)
3 tablespoon olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 tablespoon white wine or chicken broth
2 cups chicken broth
½ cup heavy whipping cream
2 tablespoons lemon juice
Salt & pepper to taste
1 cup (8oz sour cream)
Hot cooked egg noodles or pasta

In a large skillet cook the shallots (or onions) in the oil over medium high heat just until they become translucent. Add in the sliced mushrooms and 3 more tablespoons of oil. Cook until the mushroom are about ½ way done then add in the chicken. Add in the minced garlic.

Stir in the wine and bring to a boil. Cook until the liquid is almost evaporated. Add the broth, cream, lemon juice and salt & pepper. Bring to a boil and cook until liquid is reduced by half.

Reduce heat. Gradually stir in sour cream, heat through. Do not boil. If the sauce doesn’t seem thick enough (mine didn’t) mix a few tablespoons of cornstarch into a bit of water and add it into the pan to thicken it up. Serve over noodles or pasta.

3 comments:

StephenC said...

For me this is a cool weather dish, but one that sounds very appealing.

Callie Grayson said...

Awesome, I just did that with all my wine, total organization
Makes one happy

Ok this recipe looks so good, my mouth is watering and it's breakfast time
Xx
Callie

Chay Chay said...

OOOOOH! I want my OWN bowl...ALL to myself, looks DELISH!