Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Cucumber Spread

Cucumber Spread 2


We planted eight cucumber plants this year.

Eight.

You know what that means right?

It means I better prepare myself for a boatload of cukes.
It means my friends and family and co-workers will have an abundant supply of cukes.
It means I'll be having cukes for lunch and with dinner at least 5 times a week.
It means that I'll be on the lookout for recipes to make that contain cukes...like this one.

I found this on a site called Better Baker. Although it's clearly not a baked good, I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to make this. It reminded me of the Dill Pickle Dip that my friend Rebecca turned me on to.

We happen to love cucumbers. My husband could put away a half dozen by himself I swear. One of his favorite summer treats is a cucumber straight out of the garden with a little salt & pepper. He loves them.

Cucumber Spread 3


I served this with my favorite new cracker from Trader Joe's....Raisin Rosemary Crisps Crackers. I love them! They went perfectly with this recipe.

I used mini cukes in this recipe. I found them on my latest trip to the market and I just couldn't pass them up, they were so darned cute!

Cucumber Spread
adapted from a recipe by Better Baker
1 ½ cups cucumber (peeled and cut into chunks)
3 scallions or green onions, chopped
1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese, softened
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
dash salt

To make in the food processor: Place all ingredients in the processor and pulse until coarsely chopped. You can make this as smooth or as chunky as you like.

If preparing this by hand, finely chop the cucumber and onions. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and beat with an electric mixer until you get your desired consistency.

Cover and refrigerate overnight for flavors to blend.

Serve on crackers, with veggies, on a bagel, etc.

3 comments:

Joan @ Debt of Gratitude said...

Hooray! Can't wait to try this!

My Gram used to make a dish in the summer that was nothing more than sliced cukes and purple onions in a dish of water with a splash of red wine vinegar and a tsp of sugar. I have loved cucumbers ever since I tasted this dish as a young girl.

Lynda said...

This looks like a perfect summer dip. Boy, are you going to have a lot of cukes, but you can always make pickles.

Rebecca said...

Looks and sounds fabulous - perfect for a summer BBQ party! Becks xxx