Friday, June 29, 2012

Sausage & Biscuits Casserole

Sausage Biscuit Casserole

I am not a Southern girl.

I don't talk like a Southern girl, I don't act like a Southern girl and I surely don't cook like one. I could only wish!

My husband loves southern food. Loves it.

He was the first person I ever saw that ate grits. I don't think we even had them in this state until Cracker Barrel opened, and I'm guessing they are not often ordered here in Rhode Island. Now Jonnycakes, that's another story.

My hubby grew up in New Mexico so he still has a fondness for good Mexican food, chili peppers and biscuits and gravy.

Lord you should see his face when he is diggin in to a plate of biscuits covered in heavily peppered cream gravy. The man is in heaven.

When I saw this really easy recipe for Sausage and Biscuits Casserole I knew I had to make it for him.

He loved it.

Sausage Biscuit Casserole 1

Sausage and Gravy Casserole
1 pound sausage (I used Jimmy Dean Sage flavored)
1 small onion, chopped
6 ounces of cream cheese, room temp
1 can crescent rolls

Oven to 375.

Lightly spray a 9x9 inch baking pan with cooking spray. Place half of the crescent rolls in the bottom.

Cook the onions in a little bit of olive oil just until they become tender and translucent. Add in the sausage, breaking it up into small pieces as you cook it. Drain any grease. Add in the cream cheese. Pour onto the crescent rolls. Top with the other half of the rolls. I put the other half on a lightly floured sheet and pushed it with my fingertips until I knew it would fit over the top of the mixture.

Bake for 25 – 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 5 minutes in pan and serve.

Cooking notes* I originally made this in a 8x8 pan and I felt it was just a little too small. I also reduced the amount of cream cheese from 8oz to 6 oz. It was just a little bit too creamy for our liking.

9 comments:

StephenC said...

I've just recently discovered some of the wonderful things that can be done with them tubes of various doughs. Your's is yet another great idea.

Anonymous said...

LOVE the looks of this and want to make it for my daughter who is a sausage freak - - BUT - - I don't see in the recipe where the cream cheese goes...am I missing something???????

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

Fixed! Thanks for letting me know!

barbaradougherty126 said...

wow, this looks and sounds good!

Casey said...

This is one of this Southern Girl's favorite go to recipes! It is delish and easy to make and I usually have the ingredients on hand. It is great at room temperature so I like to take it to my book club meetings and other "bring a dish" events. Cool completely, cut it into squares and stack them on a pretty little dish :)

Unknown said...

This sounds really good, I'm always looking for something easy & quick on Saturday or Sunday morning's and this fits the bill -- will try this weekend!! Thank you for the recipe...

Pattyb said...

What kind of gravy do you serve with this?

Pattyb said...

What kind of gravy do you serve with this?

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

Patty I didn't serve gravy with this. It has kind of a creamy consistency. You could if you wanted. My hubby would pick, white gravy.