Monday, June 18, 2012

One Pan Dark Chocolate Chunk Skillet Cookie

One Pan Chocolate Chunk Cookie 1

So summer is finally here in New England. We take a few weeks longer to get started then most of the country but we eventually get there.

This past weekend was just perfect. It was sunny and 75 with no humidity. I wish the weather would stay like this all summer long. We sat by the fire every night, we grilled, we had family and friends over for Father's Day. It was pretty idyllic.

My garden is in and thriving. The yard work, though it will never really truly end, is pretty much under control. We widened a few flower beds and changed the landscape up just a bit. I love working with stones and pavers. It’s one of my most favorite things to do. Maybe that’s why I’m always changing the size and shape of my beds? I sit in the grass with my shovel and rubber mallet and dig trenches and pound rocks and pavers into the earth. I really love it.

On those long days when we are out in the yard until dusk, I’m not serving up dessert too often. They are lucky if they get a hot meal on those kind of days. Mama gets tired!

There are exceptions though. Like this one. I love this recipe - one pan, a few measuring spoons & cups and a trip to the oven. Done!

What could be easier?

A giant chocolate chip cookie you can cut into wedges like a pie. Big chunks of gooey chocolate surrounded by a big soft and chewy cookie.

Perfection.

One Pan Chocolate Chunk Cookie 2

I recommend using a cast iron pan when making this recipe. If you don't have one...I highly suggest you put it on your wish list. It's one of the most used pans in my kitchen. Once you cook an egg in cast iron, you will never go back to a regular skillet again.

I used Trader Joe's Belgian chocolate with this recipe. I bought the little 4 pack of bars and chopped it into chunks. You can substitute chips in a pinch.

One Pan Chocolate Chunk Cookie03

One Pan Dark Chocolate Chunk Skillet Cookie
Recipe from Sophistimom
1 stick butter
½ cup granulated sugar
½ cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 egg
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate, cut up into chunks (or chocolate chips)

Preheat the oven to 350. Melt the butter in an 8 inch cast iron skillet set over medium high heat. Stir in the sugars and vanilla and remove from the heat. Let rest in the pan until it is warm, but no longer very hot (about 5 minutes).

Crack the egg into the butter and sugar mixture and use a fork to whisk it into the mixture. Place the flour, baking soda, and salt on top and very carefully stir it in until the mixture is smooth and well-mixed. Stir in the chocolate chunks. Bake for 20 – 25 minutes or until the edges start to turn golden brown but the center is still soft.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

This looks amazing! one more thing the cast iron pan can handle! I got one last year after the hurricane and haven't gone back to my calphalon yet. we are having a backyard camp out this weekend and I bet this would be a big hit!

Cathleen said...

This looks delicious! I just made a batch of cupcakes, but I kind of want to make this now, it looks too good not to try!

Lynda said...

I agree, a cast iron skillet is one of most used things in my kitchen, but I've never tried to bake a cookie in it- Brilliant!

Spencer said...

Looks absolutely delicious! I would so love to try some. I reckon I would eat the whole thing up in 5 minutes flat though!

Unknown said...

I only have a 9 inch cast iron skillet. Would this work...by cutting back the baking time? Thank you.

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

Yes a 9 inch would work, just check it a few mins earlier. Hope it turns out great!

Unknown said...

this looks amazing! i hope you are well, sorry i haven't been by in awhile, life is so busy!! susan

TxMagnolia said...

We used this recipe and it turned out incredibly well. Amazing.