Friday, June 22, 2012

Soy & Coconut Milk Chicken Thighs

Soy Coconut Chicken

We had some absolutely gorgeous weather last weekend.....LAST weekend.

This past week a heatwave took us over.

Temps nearing 100, high humidity. What's a poor curly headed girl to do?

Well I'll tell you we had a few nights of "cool" suppers. Cold cut sandwiches, cukes, hard boiled eggs, salads, stuff like that. It was too hot to even heat the grill. Now you know it's super hot when we don't crank up the grill.

We did however cook this delicious chicken on the grill before the hot weather found us.

I love chicken on the grill.

Soy Coconut

The slightly blackened skin, the smokiness, the crunch.

Let me make one very important statement here. If you are wondering if this chicken will taste like coconut....it won't. It's not coconutty at all. I'm not sure if the coconut is acting as a tenderizer or what is going on, all I know is that was one tasty batch of chicken.

Super tender with just a wee bit of tang.

I cooked my chicken in the oven and then finished it off on the grill.

Soy & Coconut Milk Chicken Thighs
adapted from a recipe at The Reluctant Entertainer
Chicken Thighs (bone in or boneless) (I used 4 pounds, approx. 8 thighs)
2/3 cup soy sauce
1 can (13 ½ ounces) coconut milk
¾ cup apple cider vinegar
Pressed garlic
3 -4 Bay leaves
Dash pepper

Mix all the ingredient together. Marinate the thighs for 12 – 24 hours. Oven to 350. Place the thighs on a lined baking sheet. Bake for 45 minutes or until juices run clear. Throw the thighs on a hot grill for 5 to 7 minutes to crisp up.


Soy Coconut Chicken 1

3 comments:

Amy said...

No amount of cold or heat can keep me away from my grill! Sound delish. And p.s. even if it did taste like coconut, I wouldn't mind. I love coconut.

Jenny Saunders said...

Wow, that is a great idea using coconut milk. Since I have gone Paleo...i've missed 'buttermilking' our chicken and I think you just gave me the solution/substitution! Clearly the combo of coconut milk and vinegar acts just like the buttermilk would. WHY didn't I think of that? I am so behind in checking my blog reader. So glad you shared this Lisa!

Helen said...

This must be awesome.... :)