Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Apple Zucchini Bread

Apple Zuicchini Bread

Every July and August we are overrun with zucchini. Every year I say I'm going to cut back on the amount of zucchini I'm going to plant and every year I plant the same amount or more and I'm giving it away and making zucchini everything.

I love it, so that's a good thing, and it forces me to find new and creative ways to cook and bake with it, and that is also a good thing. So off I went looking for something a little different that I could use with my latest harvest.

If we aren't picking everyday and we miss a day or two they can grow to epic proportions! We're talking baseball bat sized in just a few days so we try to be diligent in picking so they don't get so big. If they do and I find myself with a mammoth zucchini I'll shred it with a box grater, ring out as much water as I can and freeze it so I can use it in the winter for baking. I'll have many bags nestled in between my pounds and pounds of blueberries.

I found this recipe crumpled up in between some other zucchini recipes. I have no idea who the original source was, but I'd like to thank him or her cause this is one delicious bread. The addition of grated apple gives it a sweet and unique flavor.

This recipe yields 3 loaves, two for you and one for someone else, or you just might want to keep all three!

Apple Zuicchini Bread 1

Apple Zucchini Bread
Recipe from Lisa@The Cutting Edge of Ordinary
PRINTABLE RECIPE
Makes 3 loaves
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking soda
1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
5 eggs
1-1/2 cups vegetable oil
2 cups sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 cups shredded unpeeled zucchini
1 cup peeled and grated apples
1-1/2 cups chopped pecans or nut of your choice

In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. In another bowl, beat eggs. Add oil, sugars and vanilla. Pour over dry ingredients; mix well. Stir in zucchini, apples and pecans (batter will be stiff). Spoon into three greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until done. Cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Yield: 3 loaves.

No comments: