Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Old Fashioned Blueberry Cobbler

Blueberry Cobbler1

We pick a lot of blueberries every year and I try to make something new with them at least once or twice. A few weeks ago I brought you one of the best cakes I've ever eaten.....Blueberry Muffin Cake. Click here for the recipe.

Although I froze a bunch of blueberries, I always keep a gigantic bowlful at the ready. I doubled this recipe and used 8 cups of blueberries in this. I know that's a lot, but you can certainly make it as described below and not double it like I did but I was serving it to guests after dinner so I knew a little 8x8 pan would not be enough. Was I ever right! We destroyed that cobbler. It was just perfect. Not overly sweet and that topping! It was just heaven, like a cross between a really good biscuit and a muffin top.

I don't have a source for this recipe. Like so many of my recipes I had printed it out from somewhere and put it in my blueberry file long ago. I re-visit that blueberry folder every July.

You should have seen the faces of my dinner guests when I whisked off into the backyard with this cobbler to photograph it. They sure were glad when I returned with it. I served this warm with vanilla ice cream and it was happily devoured by all!

Blueberry Cobbler


Blueberry Cobbler
Recipe from Lisa @ The Cutting Edge of Ordinary
PRINTABLE RECIPE
For the berries:
4 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
½ cup sugar
3 tablespoons corn starch
2 tablespoons lemon juice
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg

For the topping:
1 cup flour
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
¾ teaspoon baking powder
Pinch salt
¼ teaspoon baking soda
3 tablespoons cold butter
¼ cup sugar
¾ cup buttermilk

In a large bowl combine the berries and the rest of the ingredients for the topping. Gently stir to combine. Place in a greased 2 quart baking dish. If doubling this recipe use a 9x13 or equivalent sized pan.

For the topping:
In a bowl combine all the ingredients except for the butter and buttermilk. Cut the butter into the batter until it resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the buttermilk until just moistened. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto the blueberries.

Baked uncovered at 375 for 30 -35 minutes or until golden brown. Let it sit for 15 minutes before serving. We ate ours warm with vanilla ice cream – delicious!

No comments: