Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Garlic and Shallot Refrigerator Dill Pickles

Garlic Shallot Dill Pickles 2

I'm afraid to do an inventory of canning supplies at my house because I fear I will find out exactly just how many I have. Sometimes my canning jar hoarding comes in handy. A perfect example of this was last week when I went to my local farm stand and picked up a bunch of pickling cucumbers. I knew I had some kind of wide mouth jars that would work and low and behold I had picked up some Ball Wide Mouth 1-1/2 Pint. I love these jars. They hold 24 ounces and are a taller than the average canning jar. They are my new go-to jar.

I love to use mason jar because not only are they adorable, they are a great re-usable resource. I think everything tastes better when it's been stored in glass. I use mason jars to store all sorts of stuff in my pantry. They are cheap too! Give me a case of mason jars and a label maker and I'm ready to organize!

These pickles are super easy to make (you don't need to give them a dip in a water bath!) All you need are some pickling cukes and a few other ingredients and you'll have home made refrigerator pickles in a snap!

Make sure you use dill SEED not dill WEED!

Garlic Shallot Dill Pickles 1

Garlic and Shallot Refrigerator Dill Pickles
Recipe from Lisa@The Cutting Edge of Ordinary
PRINTABLE RECIPE
For each jar you will need:
3 pickling cucumbers, sliced thin
2 tablespoon kosher salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon sugar, divided
3 teaspoons dill seed (NOT Dill WEED, SEED!)
2 small shallots, sliced thin
2 cloves garlic, sliced thin
Distilled white vinegar
Filtered water

Start by layering the ingredients in your jar. I used tall wide mouth pint jars for mine. Wide mouth jars are much easier to work with than the traditional canning jar. I used a mandolin to slice my cucumbers, makes the job very easy!

Place the half garlic and shallots in the bottom of the jar then layer with cucumber slices. A mandolin works very well for slicing the cucumbers. Put 1 1/2 teaspoons of the dill seed on top and a 1/4 teaspoon the sugar, and 1 tablespoon of the salt on top of the cucumbers then repeat the layer ending up with more cucumbers on top. Pour the vinegar a 1/3 of the way up the jar then fill it to the top with filtered water. Seal tightly, refrigerate. It's best to wait at least 24hr before digging in. These should keep for up to 2 months in the fridge (if they last that long!).


No comments: