Friday, February 11, 2011

Roasted Parmesan Creamed Onions

Parmean & Cream Baked Onions

Most of you who have read this blog for any amount of time know what an onion freak I am.

Up until this point in my life caramelized onions were my nirvana. Sticky, sweet and golden brown goodness. I could sit with a pan full and eat them until they are gone. Better than any candy, or cookie in my book.

Then I came across these.

HEAVEN IN A PAN!

If you are an onion lover like me, YOU MUST MAKE THESE.

Creamy, sweet and caramelized. Melt in your mouth good. I ate them straight out of the pan, and then forced myself to stop when I looked down and realized half were gone.

I found this recipe on Proud Italian Cook. I love her site. Every time Marie posts a recipe the words "I have to make this" come out of my mouth. I have one file just filled with her recipes alone. If you haven't visited Marie's site I highly urge you to get your Italian on and try any of the deliciousness she makes.

I’m not a big red meat eater, but a few times a year John and I will get a nice rib eye and grill it up. I’m so looking forward to making these creamed onions to go with that big fat steak for Valentines Day. Red meat and onions for Valentines, yup, that's how we roll.

Parmean & Cream Baked Onions 2

Roasted Parmesan Creamed Onions
recipe from Proud Italian Cook
4 medium to large yellow onions
Olive oil
Salt & pepper
1 cup heavy cream
¼ cup of white wine
Parmesan cheese

Peel and slice the onions into ¼ inch thick slices. Carefully place them on a parchment lined baking sheet, keeping the rings intact. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast at 375 for about 15 minutes.

While the onions are roasting, place the heavy cream and wine in a small saucepan and simmer until it starts to bubble around the edges. Remove from heat and set aside.

After the onions are out of the oven, carefully transfer them to a shallow baking dish, again, keeping the rings intact. (I skip this step and keep them on the baking sheet). Slowly pour the cream sauce over all the onions. You can add more black pepper at this point if you’d like. Raise the oven temp to 450. Sprinkle each onion with grated or shaved Parmesan cheese.

Cover baking dish with foil and return to the oven for another 20 – 25 minutes. Remove foil and let the onions get nice and brown and caramelized for about 5 more minutes.

25 comments:

Amy said...

That's funny..."I have to make this" are the words that come out of my mouth whenever YOU post.

Caramelized onions. Oh yes. Yes, yes, yes. Printing this... and then heading over to Marie's.

Amy @ The Savvy Kitchen said...

I love caramelized onions! This is a definite must-make!

MissAlyssaDawn said...

wow these look amazing! i wish my bf liked onions. ill have to make these on a girls dinner date night!

Melissa said...

*Recipe saved*

I thought of you the other day when I was eating a sandwich for lunch with a LAYER of red onion on it. It was more like an onion sandwich with some turkey and tomato and lettuce thrown in for garnish. Yum.

Dana @ Cooking At Cafe D said...

I agree with Amy!
" 'I have to make this' are the words that come out of my mouth whenever YOU post."

This is a keeper!
Passing along on FB...
too goo not to get the word out!

TangoCreations said...

wooooow I'm doing it right now I cant wait until dinner a little try at late lunch time just to be sure everything is going to be ok

Anonymous said...

OMG these sound wonderful! Only thing that's holding me back is the heavy cream...and I'm thinking that 1% milk just wouldn't cut it ;-) Although it may be worth a try anyway, LOL!

Anonymous said...

I never use my onions before they sprout. This is a great way to use up a bunch at once, thanks!

Margie said...

I'm so with you about caramelized onions. And these roasted onion rings look amazing!

test it comm said...

I tried this recipe and it is and amazing one!

oneordinaryday said...

My grandmother always made a bowl of creamed onions for holidays, but I don't remember them EVER being like this. Must try. THey look incredibly delicious.

Kimmy Bingham said...

Thanks, now I'm *dying* for a fat, juicy steak smothered in these! Definitely bookmarked for the next big dinner we do!

Danielle said...

So I'm wondering, if you roast the onions on a half sheet pan lined with parchment, couldn't you just pour the cream sauce over the onions on that pan and continue baking? You don't run the risk of breaking up your rings and you save yourself one dirty pan. Any thoughts?

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

Danielle I thought the same thing at first, but after making them, I think that the cream would burn if it was in for the whole length of time. Baking them first kinda gives the onions a head start.

MrOrph said...

i have 2 prime 14oz ribeyes in the fridge waiting for these onions. gonna give these a try tomorrow!

Kim said...

Oooh, these sound (and look) luscious! I know I don't need the heavy cream, but I bet whole milk would taste like heaven to me since I usually use FF. But, then again, we all need to live it up every now and then don't we?

Anonymous said...

oh this looks so goooood!

Foodiewife said...

I know exactly what you mean. I bookmarked this recipe (along with several other's) on Marie's blog. You did her very proud! I'm afraid of the cream, because I'm trying to stick with eating less heavy cream...but, sometime I need to just indulge and make these. I can see these as a side-dish with a steak dish. Mmmmm

Dana said...

This recipe makes me happy!!! I love all types of onions, and I am certain this will be a winner of a recipe

Michelle said...

Just wanted to let you know I made the Parmesan Onions tonight and OMG they were delicious. I did cut the recipe in half and after one bite I wish I had doubled it!

So good...just so good!

Jenn said...

I could eat caramelized onions on anything...well almost...and this looks amazing!

Found you via Pinterest, so glad I did, following!

¤´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·`¤... Jennifer
http://jennsrandomscraps.blogspot.ca/
http://pinterest.com/jennp6/

Anonymous said...

Let me just say that this was a wonderful dish. Made it for Christmas dinner and it was gone quickly. Everybody enjoyed it and my husband said, "I think that is my new favorite". High praise indeed. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

There are no words. :)
Made these tonight and piled them on a big steak. My husband's eyes rolled back in his head! The only other thing we had was bread. Nothing else needed. I used one pan. Lined a jelly roll pan with parchment. Removed from oven after 15 minutes and added cream/cheese to the onions on the same parchment lined pan. Worked great! One less dish to wash. :)
Heather

Hendrika van Aardt said...

What can I say, I have to try this, as I currently have a whole pocket of onions in the house

Anonymous said...

These were amazing! I roasted mine in the baking dish for the 15 mins, then added the cream/wine mixture and put them back in the oven. Will definitely make again!