Friday, February 17, 2012

Spiced Pear Upside Down Cake

Pear tint

Ahhh pears. One of my favorite fruits.

I love to cook with apples, but when it comes to just picking up and eating a piece of fruit, I'll always pick a pear first.

Bosc, used in this recipe, are my favorites.

I love to let them get really ripe so that when I bite into them, the juice runs down my chin. To me, the sign of perfectly ripened fruit. I am also that type of person who likes her toast on the dark side, the crunchy ends of the lasagna and the bananas when they really ripe.

Spiced Pear Upside Down Cake 1

I told you I was on a breakfast kick didn't I?

I thought this spicy pear cake would qualify as a breakfast type cake...and it did.

Spiced Pear Upside-Down Cake
recipe form Taste of Home
½ cup butter, melted
½ cup coarsely chopped nuts
¼ cup packed brown sugar
2 large pears, peeled and sliced
½ cup butter softened
1/3 cup sugar
1 egg
1/3 cup molasses
1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
¾ teaspoon ground ginger
¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
½ cup warm water

Pour the melted butter into a 9 inch square baking pan. Sprinkle with nuts and brown sugar. Arrange the pears over the mixture.

In a large bowl cream the softened butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and molasses. Combine the flour, ginger, cinnamon, salt, baking powdered and soda and add it to the creamed mixture alternating with the water. Beat well after each addition.

Spread the batter carefully over the pears. Bake at 350 for 35 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes and invert onto serving plate.


Spiced Pear Upside Down Cake

6 comments:

Amy said...

It's funny, I love fruit, but almost never just eat it in its original form...I always cut it up for salads, roasts, and of course baked goods. I would totally eat this for breakfast. Totally.

Flat Creek Farm said...

I would eat this any time of day. Looks scrumptious, and it's pretty too! I ♥ pears in any form. Thanks for yet another great recipe :) -Tammy

Rebecca said...

I am all over every fruit in upside down cake form, which is funny, since I'm not usually a cake gal. I'll definitely give this a whirl, soon, and that second picture? I swoon.

Foodiewife said...

Wow! Look at that caramelized edge. I want! I love pears, and every time I buy some to bake, they are devoured by my men. I'm pinning this one, and I'll just have to hide some pears so I can bake this. I love the spices in this.

Dana @ Cooking At Cafe D said...

One of the best things I've ever eaten in my life...was Ina Garten's Pear Clafouti.

Made. Me. Drool.

Pinning your recipe.

Anonymous said...

Any excuse is good to eat cake for breakfast. Looks delicious!