Friday, November 9, 2012

Baked Apple Pie Egg Rolls

Apple pie egg rolls

My 40 pounds of apples are gone now.

I spend the better part of last Saturday making Apple Butter. I didn't make quite as much of it as I would have liked too. We stored our apples in the outdoor shed, inside a large cooler so critters couldn't get to them.

When I started the long process of peeling and chopping them for the apple butter I noticed that I lost quite a few at the bottom. They got a a bit yucky. So I salvaged what I could and left the rest of them outside for the rabbits and groundhogs and squirrels that live in our backyard.

I'm sure they had a yummy week.

I did manage to make these delicious Apple Pie Egg Rolls with them though.

Apple pie egg rolls 1 rb

This is another recipe from what is now one of my most favorite blogs Alaska from Scratch.
Maya's blog is filled with wonderful and scrumptious food and the Alaskian scenery is nothing to sneeze at either.

This was a quick and easy treat to whip up. The outside of the egg roll wrappers get all crunchy and the inside is all warm and full of squishy apple goodness.

Baked Apple Pie Egg Rolls
Makes 20 egg rolls
Adapted from a recipe at Alaska from Scratch
4 cups of apples, peeled and diced
1 lemon, juiced
1/2 cup sugar
4 tablespoons flour
2 teaspoons cinnamon
dash of salt
20 egg roll wrappers
1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon butter, melted
cinnamon sugar

Preheat oven to 375. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and lightly spray the parchment with non-stick spray.

In a bowl, stir together the apples, lemon, and sugar. Add the flour, cinnamon and salt.

Beginning with one egg roll wrapper, lay it out on a work surface (I used a cutting board) and brush egg wash around each edge. Scoop about 2 tablespoons of apple filling onto one edge. Fold in the sides and roll up the egg roll tightly. Place on the parchment-lined baking sheet. Repeat until all the filling has been used.

Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and brush each egg roll with melted butter, then sprinkle each with cinnamon sugar. Return to the oven for 5 more minutes.

Notes: Egg roll wrappers are crispy when baked and the interior layer is chewy. If you prefer your egg rolls fried, these would also be delicious deep fried, then dusted with cinnamon sugar after frying.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

These look amazing!!! I might just have to try these.

Anonymous said...

Yummy how do I make these gluten free?