Friday, April 19, 2013

Roasted Garlic Dipping Oil

Garlic Olive Oil 1

I'm so excited about spring and everything that comes with it.

I have my honey-do list hanging on the fridge and it includes about a dozen wood projects. From birdhouses to a utensil holder, to a new laundry basket holding system. Oh yes Pinterest you have lured me in.

My "Feeling Crafty" folder is busting at the seams and I'm lucky enough to have a hubby who can make me most of the projects I pin.

I saw a pin on this utensil mason jar holder.

mason crate

And now I have this!

holder


I knew this would be perfect for all our parties throughout the year, so John made me one. I painted mine October Red, one of my favorite colors. Now it will fit right in for the 4th of July, Fall, and Christmas. I covered all my bases.

He also made me a laundry basket holder. I'm getting ready to paint it. I'll share once it's finished.

So those are just two of the 14 or so projects we have planned. Some are big and some are small, so it's not as daunting as it sounds. I love painting and distressing so it's all fun for me.

When I'm in the middle of crafting I'm not thinking about cooking so much. Dinner on those nights can be sandwiches, or instant noodles or even bread with olive oil, one of my favorites.

When I was growing up breakfast on many Sunday mornings was crusty Sicilian bread dipped into the sauce my Mom was making for lunch. I still do that to this day when I'm making sauce.

I know lots of restaurants serve bread and dipping oil before your meal. One of my favorite Italian places here in Rhode Island is Marchetti's. They have the best dipping oil I've ever tasted. I'm always trying to duplicate it, so here's my version.


Garlic Olive Oil 2

You'll need to roast a head of garlic. It's simple and easy. Here's my post on how to roast it. Click here!

Once you have the garlic roasted you're ready to roll.

Roasted Garlic Dipping Oil
recipe from Lisa at The Cutting Edge of Ordinary
1 head roasted garlic
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (make sure you use a really good olive oil for this)
Pinch salt
cracked black pepper
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar

Add the olive oil to a small saucepan. Add in the garlic and bring to just simmer. Once the head of garlic is cooled all you have to do is push the cloves out into the pan. Bring to just a simmer and turn off the heat and let it cool. Add in the salt & pepper and about a tablespoon the balsamic just before serving. Crusty Italian or Sicilian breads are great for dipping.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

where did you find the crate? I would love to find one, love the color too. I tried to publish with my name but it wouldn't let me,Terry ,tllips@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

I will immediatеly take hold of your гѕѕ feed аѕ ӏ can not fіnd уour е-maіl subscrіρtіοn hуpeгlink or
e-nеwsletter seгviсe. Do yοu have any?
Please let me undеrstand ѕo that
Ӏ may just subѕcгіbe. Thanks.

Αlѕo visіt mу раgе
... hämorrhoiden therapie