Friday, February 13, 2015

Cauliflower Hash



Out of all the breakfast foods in the whole wide world I love corned beef hash the most. Well done hash with lots of crispy bits makes me happy. I'm not a French Toast or waffle person, but I love me some hash.

In my quest to keep it low carb I decided to make my own version of hash with cauliflower. I had seen a few recipes here and there but decided that I'm a good enough cook (at least I think so) to pull it off without using someone else's recipe.

I kept it simple....onion, cauliflower and some spices and then I topped it with a runny egg. To say is was breakfast nirvana for me is an understatement. I LOVED this. I think I might have loved it as much as I love my crispy corned beef hash. Why didn't I do this sooner? I made enough for two meals. Sometimes it's nice to get two meals out of breakfast food. No one else in the house likes cauliflower so that was a score for Mama!

Let me say that you can customize this recipe to your likings. I happen to love onion so I used a lot, if you don't like it you can leave it out completely.



Cauliflower Hash
recipe from Lisa@ The Cutting Edge of Ordinary
PRINTABLE RECIPE

1 large head cauliflower, chopped into small pieces.
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
olive oil
salt
pepper
paprika

Add 2 -3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet. Add in the chopped onion and let it cook just until it turns translucent. Add in the minced garlic and let it cook for about a minute. Add in the chopped cauliflower and mix everything up a bit. Cover the skillet and let it cook until the cauliflower is tender, but not mushy. I let mine sit undisturbed for 5 minutes at a time so I could get all those brown delicious bits from the bottom. If it starts to stick, just add in a little more olive oil. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and paprika. I served this with a runny egg on top. Yum!

No comments: