Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Creamy Garlic Mushrooms

Creamy Garlic Mushrooms 3

Yes it's another mushroom dish from me. Sorry mushroom haters!

This is a quick and easy side dish. It would go great with a nice juicy steak. I haven't had a nice juicy steak in a very long time. I need to remedy that soon. I think my Roasted Parmesan Onions and these mushrooms would be perfect accompaniments!

I tweaked the original recipe a bit. I doubled it for one. One little package of mushrooms just will not cut it at my house. Even thought my picky youngest won't eat mushrooms, the rest of us love them, so doubling it was necessary.

I used baby bella mushrooms. The original recipe called for white button mushrooms. You can certainly use whatever you prefer.

A crusty piece of bread would be wonderful served with these mushrooms. You could sop up all that garlicky goodness. I honestly could have eaten the whole pan by myself but I was nice and shared.


Creamy Garlic Mushrooms 2

Creamy Garlic Mushroom
adapted from a recipe at Lovefoodies
PRINTABLE RECIPE
Two - 8-10 oz packages of baby bella mushrooms (try and choose mushroom a bit on the smaller size)
3 cloves of garlic, minced
3 tablespoons of Cream Cheese (you can also use low fat variety)
sprinkling of parsley
salt & pepper
2 teaspoon of olive oil

Heat a pan with the oil and add the mushrooms on medium heat. Stir and toss until soft and a little liquid is released from the mushrooms. If the mushrooms do not release any liquid, add a couple of tablespoons of milk or broth. (Sometimes, depending on the season, mushrooms can vary in juiciness!)Add in the garlic and cook for 2 more minutes.

Add the cream cheese. See note* Season with salt and pepper and a sprinkling of parsley.

Note: To avoid the cream cheese from splitting, you should make sure the heat is not too hot, if you are not sure, remove the pan from the heat whilst you add the cream cheese, combine well, then return to a gentle heat until the sauce is bubbling gently and heated through completely. As you will know, any cream products have a tendency to split or curdle if you add them to any high temperatures, so do not turn the heat up!!

Serve straight from the pan, or you can transfer to an oven dish and place in the oven (covered) to keep warm until you are ready to serve.

No comments: