Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Rustic Plum Tart

So I had a lot of plums. More plums they we were going to eat. Yes they were on sale. 79 cents a pound, how could I pass that up? I went a little overboard and bought a few too many so I decided to make a plum tart, a rustic plum tart cause I'm the kinda girl that just wouldn't make a fancy plum tart.

I used Elise's recipe for
Pâte Brisée All Butter Crust for Sweet and Savory Pies. I then researched for a plum filling and found one from Gourmet. It looked really simple:

1 pound plums
2/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 T cornstarch
2 t lemon juice

So I mixed all that up in a bowl and added my plums. Now maybe my plums were too ripe. They were very ripe indeed. I added in a pound of plums and it just looked too soupy. So I added in 2 more plums. That looked better. I mixed it all up and it still seemed too soupy so I just kind of let the juice run through my hands before I filled the pastry with them. I brushed the top with some milk and sprinkled on some demerara sugar and into a 375 degree oven it went.

It leaked a little in the oven. One of the sides seemed to blow out a bit, but that's ok. I kinda like the river of magenta and purple running down the side.

Tangy and tart and sweet and just fruity enough.

Post a Comment