Monday, November 16, 2009

Balsamic Roasted Pearl Onions

Balsamic onions ina row


I know you have all heard me say it before.

I am an onion freak.

I adore them. They are like vegetable candy to me.

I'll eat them just about anyway you prepare them, but roasted really is heaven to me. I saw this recipe a few times in different magazines. I based this one on Martha's. I don't need to tell ya what Martha now do I?

I found a huge container of these tri colored pearl onions at my local Sam's Club the other day and that was my cue to finally make this recipe.

Red, yellow and white. What a beautiful sight.

Balsamic onion raw in pan
Doused in salt and pepper, then drizzled with a good balsamic and some olive oil.

Roasted until tender and juicy.

This recipe just made it to my Thanksgiving menu.
You could roast these the night before and then just heat to serve. I think they would go great with turkey.

Balsamic onions cooked


Balsamic Roasted Pearl Onions
Printable recipe
1 ¼ pounds fresh pearl onions
(you can substitute two 10 ounce packages if you don’t have fresh)
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt and pepper


Balsamic onions in bowl

Preheat the oven to 450.

If you are using fresh onions, soak them in warm water for 5 minutes to loosen the skins, then using a paring knife, cut off the ends and peel the onions.

Toss the onion with the vinegar and oil on a rimmed, foil lined baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper. Roast until onions are tender, about 25 to 30 minutes, stirring 2 or 3 times and rotating the baking sheet half way through.
Post a Comment