Friday, November 27, 2009

Ugh.

Ugh. Just ugh. That's how life's been for me the past few days.

It always seem like when it rains, it pours on me.

Illness, injury, and general all around crappiness tend to come in bunches with me. It all started with Evan's broken arm. Then a small trickle of illnesses, and problems started to creep their way into my life.

Take Tuesday for instance. I woke up with a really stiff shoulder. Probably just slept on it wrong I thought. It'll pass.

It didn't pass. By Tuesday night I was in agony. I was crying in bed. Crying. That's how much it hurt. I think I have a fairly high tolerance for pain, but this was bad. Hot poker in the shoulder, blaring, deep pain. I was up all night.

Wednesday, my day off, my day to prep for Thanksgiving found me at the doctors office where I was told that I pulled a tendon in the shoulder. I was given some pain meds, told to ice it every 20 mins, and take it easy. HA! "Take it easy". It the day before Thanksgiving? How in the world could I take it easy??

We trudged along with Thanksgiving. My husband pitching in double time and our friend Mitch coming over early to help peel and chop. It all got done. We enjoyed the day. I popped some more pain meds and conked out on the couch early. Even with my "broken wing", we managed.

Speaking of broken wings, Evan's cast came off last week.

Cast off 1

Gram and I took him to the Orthopedic doctors office and we were in and out in about a half hour.

Dawn was our cast remover.

Cast off 2

She did a great job.

Cast off 4

She even let Evan use the cast plier thingy himself, and yes I'm pretty sure that is the technical name for that tool - cast pliers thingy. Look it up.

Cast off 6

It was starting to get a little grungy. Ewwww.

Cast off 7

Evan was pretty happy to finally have it off his arm, but still can't take gym for another 3 weeks.

That bummed him out a little. Hopefully when we return in 3 weeks for a final checkup, he'll be able to participate in gym class again.

For now we're using lots of cream to help moisturize his dried up little arm.

Cast off 8

So last night, even in my drugged up stupor, I sat back and reflected on the past few months, and reminded myself, that we made it through it all. We made it through broken bone, and fevers, and coughs and snot, and hectic work days, and the endless homework projects, and long weekend projects. As I laid there, eyes half closed, I thought about how we always seem to come together. We trudge through. We help each other, we make it right. So of all the things I have to be thankful for, during this week of thankfulness, I'm truly blessed for the 3 men in my life who are always help me make it through, especially during the "ugh" moments of life.

4 comments:

Kim said...

As one broken wing is fixed, another goes down. And on Thanksgiving of all holidays! This IS some crazy mixed up luck! It sounds like everything worked out in the end and you have some real heroes in your mist. Happy Thanksgiving and go easy this weekend. Lay on the couch, take your meds and watch a good movie. We need you to get better- you have Christmas baking to do!

Melissa said...

It's all about perspective, yes? You guys are okay, and you have each other and a lot of love. That's the best thing ever.

Hope your arm is better though. I was a bit concerned when it happened so close to Thanksgiving, but at least you had good people helping!

Crystal said...

Happy late Thanksgiving! I am glad you made it through the rough spots.

Anonymous said...

thanks. thank God we somehow pull through.

my mother decided to clean the top of her shower Thanksgiving morning and fell and about knocked her self out before cooking and entertaining for 19 people, you are not alone.....