Monday, November 9, 2009

Yvonne's Pork Pie

Pork Pies cut

The last pork pie I ate was one that my grandmother made. That was many, many years ago. She was a pie maker. She made rice pies (plain and chocolate) and ham and cheese pies at Easter, and she made pork pies quite often cause my Pa loved them.

I thought all my Grams recipes were lost until my cousin Julie called me yesterday and said "Guess what? I have good news, I have your Grandmother's recipes" Yipee! I was elated. I thought they were gone forever, thrown away when Grams dementia set in. Seems they were just in Julie's basement all along.

So now your probably thinking that Yvonne is my Gram and this is one of the lost recipes, well sorry, it's not. Would have been a great intro though. My Gram's name is Millie. Yvonne is my cousin Julie's grandmother. Sorry for the confusion. Gram's pork pie was good, but Yvonne's is the ultimate. Don't worry, Gram won't find out, she doesn't even know what the Internet is.

Pork Pies 4

Yvonne was the first pork pie maker in the family, she passed the skill down to my Aunt Claire, who taught my cousin Julie to make them.

It is a tradition in Julie's family that you eat pork pie for breakfast on Thanksgiving morning. Why you ask? Well I asked and Julie said "cause you're too busy making the meal". You just pop a pork pie in the oven and breakfast is served.

I also wanted to note that until now, this recipe wasn't written down. I transcribed it over the phone while Julie told me how to make it. I would hate to think that a delicious recipe like this would have been lost in time, cause I hope that someday I'll teach my kids (or daughter-in-laws) to make it and they'll pass it down to their kids. Maybe the tradition of eating pork pies on Thanksgiving morning will live on for years and years too. I'd like to hope so.

Pork Pies solo

This is a pretty easy recipe to make. I doubled it and made 5 mini pies and one 8 inch pie. I always eat my pork pie with ketchup, the kids and John eat it with hot sauce.

Yvonne's Pork Pie
Printable recipe
To make one 8 or 9 inch pie, or 5 mini pies you'll need:

2 prepared pie crusts (you can make your own or
use those convenient babies in the red box)
1 1/2 pounds ground pork
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 medium potatoes, peeled, quartered and boiled till tender
1 heaping teaspoon of Bell's Seasoning*
1/2 teaspoon ground sage
salt
pepper
milk for the crust

Pork Pies CU

Peel and quarter the potatoes. Boil them in a large pot of salted water until tender.

While the potatoes are cooking, heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the chopped onion and cook for 3 - 5 minutes or until tender. Add in the ground pork, breaking it up as it cooks. When the pork is just about done, add in the Bell Seasoning, sage, salt and pepper. I used a heaping teaspoon of the Bells Seasoning cause I really like to taste it in the meat mixture. You might want to start off with a level teaspoon and add more to taste. Drain off any liquid that has accumulated in the pan.

Pork Pies cut2

Place the meat mixture in a large bowl. Add the half the potatoes and use a fork to break the potatoes into small pieces. You don't want them to be mashed, you still want little hunks so you can taste the potato in each bite. I only added in half the potatoes at first because you want the meat to potato ratio to be about 2 to one. More meat than potatoes. So I added in half and then just kept adding in more until it looked right.

Place the mixture into a prepared pie crust, top with another crust and crimp to seal. Cut in a few vent holes and brush the top with milk.

Bake at 350 for 30 - 35 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.


* Just in case there are those of you out there that don't know what Bells Seasoning is, I believe it's primarily a poultry/stuffing seasoning. You can buy it in the spice aisle of the grocery store. It comes in a little yellow box with a turkey on it. It'll be easy to spot right now since all the turkey fixin's are out.

13 comments:

Rocquie said...

Those pie are beautiful.

Julie said...

"Bell's Seasoning can be found in all grocery stores in New England and the north east. Can be found in select stores throughout the country or online." Bellsseasoning.com

AJK said...

Ooohh, Lisa, that looks really good...

But dude, I have to take issue with your using boxed piecrust. Try Cook's Illustrated's Foolproof Pie Dough - very easy, and freezes beautifully. You'll never want to use the packaged stuff again. (One mod, though: where they call for shortening, use lard instead. Magic stuff.)

repmogirl said...

I have never seen Bell's Seasoning here, you think I could get by with just regular poultry seasoning?

G is a huge believer in Ruhlman's pie crust in the Ratio book. One of my grandma's friends offered to marry him if he make pie for her after she ate his peach cobbler at Grandma's funeral

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

AJK - I do use ATK pie crust. Is it the same as the CI's? There's vodka in it. I usually have a stash of them I the freezer, but when I'm pressed for time those suckers in the red box are a lifesaver. I promise the Thanksgiving pie crusts will all be from scratch, lol.

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

Carrie, I'm not sure. New Englanders swear by it.

Nutmeg Nanny said...

This looks really delicious. I have never had a pork pie before but I can't imagine it being bad:)

AJK said...

Whew, you ease my mind considerably ;) . Yes, CI is from the ATK folks. But do use lard - preferably leaf lard if you can get it, but even plain old manteca is fine. People who are stuffed beyond Mr. Creosote levels will continue to nibble at the crust because they just can't help it. *g*

Julie said...

Really needs to be Bell's Seasoning. Poultry seasoning is not the same. Bell's is more of a stuffing seasoning. Check their website for ingredients

Kathy said...

Pork pies (some use part ground beef) are, I believe, a French Canadian dish called Tourtiere. We have it on Christmas Eve (with lots of ketchup) to carry on a family tradition. I like my pies not too 'chunky' so I run the mixture through my food processor for a couple of seconds. The meat mixture freezes well, I just warm it up a little in the microwave and fill my pies.

grace said...

if you had asked me ten minutes ago to name my favorite pie, i would've said apple, hands-down. now i'm not so sure... :)

Kim (@ Paper Apron) said...

These are the cutest little pies EVER! I feel like I'm in a fairy tale, just lookin' at em!

June said...

Oh, Lisa! I love everything about this post. It's so beautiful to reclaim something almost lost...and something that holds such power...family recipes!

Thank you!