Thursday, April 2, 2009

Mushroom Casserole

mushroom casserole

What a great little side dish I discovered. I had ripped this recipe out of some magazine put it to rest with all the other clippings in my recipe basket. I dug it up when I was searching for a side dish to go with the sirloin tips we had last weekend. We love mushrooms at my house so I knew that even if it came out mediocre, it would get eaten. You’d have to abuse a mushroom pretty badly for us not to eat it.

Ok so it’s not the most photogenic food in the world, but we loved it. The mushrooms are creamy and the topping is nice and crunchy. It was the perfect accompaniment to go along with steak and the prep work took 5 minutes. I had bought a package of pre-sliced mushrooms so it was a breeze to throw all the ingredients into a pie pan and pop it in the oven.

mushroom casserole 1

I was worried that baking the mushroom would make the dish soggy, but it didn’t at all. The mushrooms still had enough “bite” to them. We really liked it. They went well with the steak but I can see myself making these again to serve with chicken.

Mushroom Casserole
Printable recipe
Two – 8 ounce packages sliced mushrooms (or one 16 ounce package)
¼ cup beef broth
1 tablespoon flour
½ cup heavy cream
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
½ cup breadcrumbs (I used Panko)
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces

Preheat the oven to 350. Place the mushrooms in a 2-quart pie pan. I used a deep-dish pie pan and it worked out well, but you could use a regular ole glass Pyrex pie plate and it would have worked out fine too. Remember the mushrooms will shrink a lot in the oven.

In a small saucepan combine the beef broth and the flour. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until sauce is thickened (about 1 to 2 minutes). Stir in the heavy cream and cayenne. Salt to taste. Immediately pour over the mushrooms.

In a medium bowl mix together the breadcrumbs and Parmesan. Sprinkle on top of the mushrooms. Top with the pieces of butter. Bake until golden brown, about 45 minutes.

5 comments:

amycaseycooks said...

What a side dish to go with the beef tenderloin I purchased at the store!

I typically make an au jus and mushroom type sauce - this will be a change of pace for us.

Kelly B said...

That looks delicious!! I will definitely be making that this weekend!! :) Thank you!!

Jeff said...

Perfect side dish! Of course I would end up with a spoon eating it as a meal.

katie said...

This look fantastic! I love mushrooms and this looks like a great steak house side dish.

test it comm said...

A mushroom casserole sounds so good!