Friday, August 14, 2009

Muddy Buddie Cookies

Muddy Buddie Cookies CU cookie

I get lots of email from food sites. I will quickly scan through them and if nothing sparks my interest in the first, oh say, 20 seconds, the email goes right to the trash folder. That’s just the way it is. You have to grab me from the git go if you want me to take a second look.

The last email I got from Betty Crocker had a cookie spotlighted that actually made me stop and look for longer then 20 seconds. I even clicked on “get the recipe”. I read the recipe. Oh yeah. I was that intrigued. I decided I was going to make the recipe.

What it sounded like was a peanut butter cookie (from the pouch, yeah, yeah, you purists, don’t judge) that was covered in the same mixture that you make Muddy Buddies with. A peanut butter cookie covered in a peanutbuttery chocolate mixture and then rolled in powdered sugar!

I could envision my kids gobbling them up already.

Like Muddy Buddies these were a little messy to make. I must have rinsed my hands off a dozen times. The kids and my husband loved them. Peanut butter is not my thing so I only taste tested a bite of one and it was good.

They went quickly. Always a sign of a good cookie.

Muddy Buddie Cookies
Printable recipe
1 pouch (1lb, 1.5oz) Betty Crocker peanut butter cookie mix
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon water
1 egg

Coating
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
¼ cup butter
¼ cup peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 ½ to 2 cups powdered sugar

Heat the oven to 375. In a large bowl, stir in the cookie mix, oil, water and eggs until soft dough forms.

Shape the dough into 1-inch balls. On an ungreased cookie sheet, place the balls 2 inches apart. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until the edges are light golden brown. Cool 2 minutes; remove from cookie sheets to a cooling rack. Cool completely (about 15 minutes).

In a small microwaveable bowl, microwave the chocolate chips, butter and peanut butter uncovered on high 1 minutes and then in 30 second intervals if it’s not completely melted. Stir in the vanilla.

Place 1 ½ cups of powdered sugar in a 1 gallon resalable food storage plastic bag, set aside. Place 12 cooled cookies in a large bowl and pour 1/3 of the chocolate mixture over the cookies in the bowl. Using a rubber spatula, toss the cookies to gently coat. Place the cookies in the bag with the powdered sugar and seal the bag. (I only worked with 4 cookies at a time. I think 12 would have been too many to coat properly). Gently turn the bag to coat the cookies. Remove from the bag to a cooking rack to set. Repeat with 12 more cookies, adding powdered sugar to the bag as necessary.

Muddy Buddie Cookie with cupTS

3 comments:

Bunny said...

My kids and hubby would love these! I've never heard of Muddy Buddies,have you made them too? Is the recipe on your blog???

Jenny Saunders said...

OH YUM!!! I make muddy buddies all the time in my classes! The kids love it....man, these are going to leave alot of powdered sugar on my shirt! Funny, I subscribe to the same site....how did I overlook these! *thud on the head* Thanks Lisa!

Sprouted Kitchen said...

this looks like trouble. I spent much of my pudgy adolescence gobbling muddy buddies from the chex box!