Friday, April 9, 2010

DVR addicted.

About a year ago we added a DVR to our cable.

Can I just confess something? I love my DVR. I can't barely remember when I watched TV live. I am so DVR addicted it's not even funny.

Don't ever ask me what day or time a show comes on cause I could never tell ya for sure. I just wait till it appears on the screen.

I tape a bunch of shows and then like a week later I finally get an hour or two to watch them and blissfully fast forward through all the crap I don't want to watch. It's liberating I tell ya.

A whole half hour to watch a show? NONSENSE! Press that little arrow and BAM, you are done in 22 minutes.

You can't get back those lost 8 minutes people.

I have a list of shows I tape, lots food and garden related but then I have my fluff shows. Shows that offer no intellectual stimulation what so ever. It's my brain candy and one of those shows is Ugly Betty. Normally a soap-opraish show is not my style, in fact, most of my friends were totally surprised when I told them I watched it, but I fell in love with pudgy Betty the first time her poncho wearing horned rimmed brace face appeared on the screen. I'm a sucker for the underdog. Betty reeled me in and I was hooked. Sadly, next week is the last episode so there will be a Betty void in my life.

Fear not, I do have a few other shows to fill the Betty void. I'm totally addicted to Dexter and Nurse Jackie, oh and then there's the British show Shameless. John and I can't get enough of that show.

We abandon our DVR for the summer. There's not too much TV watchin' that goes on here from May - Sept. We spend most summer nights outside by the fire. That little box is no substitute for hanging outside by a cracklin' embers.

I do have to tell you that Betty has left me with one little gift. I discovered a young (only 24 yrs old) and very talented singer named Schuyler Fisk. One of her songs was on the next to last episode and I frantically tried memorizing the lyrics while it was on so I could do a search and find out just who it was. Have you ever done that? I do it all the time.

So anyway, I LOVE this girl voice and her songs and I have been listening to her over and over again on YouTube. I still can't believe she's only 24 and then I find out her mom is Sissy Spacek. Wild huh? Next thing you know, I'm on Amazon using up that gift card I got.

Here are just a few of my favorites.

From Where I'm Standing





Hello





What a haunting beautiful song. Be My Only with Tim Myers. This is the song I heard on the show that made me go "ok I need to find out who that is" and I did.

I have no idea what's up with the chipmunk, lol.





Thanks Miss Suarez. I'll miss ya.

5 comments:

Melaina25 said...

I love my DVR, too :)

Schuyler Fisk is actually 27 and was in "The Babysitter's Club" movie and "Orange County" with Jack Black, too.

Gan - iheartsharks said...

I love Schuyler Fisk. I saw her open for Joshua Radin some years ago. Shes very talented with a beautiful voice. You can also see her in the movie Im Reed Fish where she sings and plays the guitar.

Lisa@The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

Melaina - I must have read an old bio!!

Gan - I didn't know she was in movies. I just love her voice. I'll have to check it out.

Laurie said...

Nice music. Thanks for sharing it!

Anonymous said...

We love DVR. I don't know how we lived without it, but I must confess: I work in TV and those commercials help pay my salary (but they can be annoying).

We love Ugly Betty too. I'm so disappointed this is the last season. ABC didn't even have the courtesy to let it air into May sweeps :-(