Friday, April 2, 2010

Orange Brownies

You know those chocolate oranges that you whack and they separate into fake chocolate orange slices complete with pulp and pit marks? You know what talking about. I LOVE those. Milky chocolate with just a hint of orange. So good.

But did you know that in 1926 the chocolate apple was launched? 20 segments of chocolate covered apple. Sound good to me? Why didn't that take off? It made it to 1949 and then the chocolate orange became more popular and the apple was no more. Sorry apple.

In 1971 they even made a chocolate lemon. That didn't make it either.

Did you also know that if you google Terrys Chocolate Orange you find all these facts and more. Ya didn't think I just knew all that stuff did ya?

Well even though the apple and lemon perished, the orange has survived, and even though I am not a great lover of orange (I don't even like orange juice), these brownies spoke to me, so when I came across this recipe I thought, why not? Orange Brownies, it's worth a shot.


Orange Brownies CU

These are not overly orange tasting. Let me just state that fact in case your worried about the orange flavor being overpowering. Let me also tell you that these are cake-like brownies. Not usually my favorite. I'm more of a fudgy brownie chick.

I liked these. I didn't LOVE these. There was really nothing wrong with them. I guess I'm just more of a fudgy brownie type. None the less, they were happily devoured by the folks at work.

Orange Brownies TS

Chocolate Orange Brownies
½ cup boiling water
6 tablespoons natural unsweetened cocoa powder
1 ¼ cups packed brown sugar
¾ cup all purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
2 large eggs
10 table spoons (1 ¼ stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 tablespoon finely grated orange peel
½ teaspoon vanilla

Oven to 350. Spray a 9x9x2 inch metal baking pan with nonstick spray.

Whisk ½ cup boiling water and cocoa powder in a small bowl to blend. Whisk the sugar, flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl to blend. Stir in the pecans.

Whisk the eggs in a large bowl. Add the butter, orange peel and vanilla, whisk to blend. Whisk the cocoa mixture into the egg mixture. Add the flour mixture and stir to blend. Transfer to prepared pan.

Bake until tester inserted into center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached, about 30 minutes. Let cool completely in pan on rack. Cut into 16 squares and serve.

Adapted from Homepage Café via Bon Appetit
.


Orange Brownies

Cake like brownies with a hint of orange.

Recipe from ...

See Orange Brownies on Key Ingredient.

No comments: