This recipe is from my friend Ken's Mom, Marion.
I first time I had this cake was probably more than 15 years ago.
You do need a special pan to bake it, which is why I had never blogged it before until now, but this cake is too good not to share. Marion is Swedish, so this is the real thing people. I just love it. It's one of my most favorite cakes. It's not fluffy or frosted, it doesn't have a page full of ingredients, it's just simple good cake with a fantastic almond flavor.
The pan I bake this in is called a Half Roll Bake pan. My friend Eva (Ken's wife) bought me ones ages ago. Mine is marked on the bottom "Made in West Germany". Huh? Doesn't sound too Swedish to me!
I had never seen another pan like it until last week so I picked up 2 to give away, cause I think a few more people should be able to experience this delicious cake.
Here's the recipe. Scroll down for the giveaway(s)
Swedish Almond Cake
recipe from Marion Bird
Spray a half roll pan with Bakers Joy or use cooking spray. I like Bakers Joy cause the cake never sticks.
In a large bowl beat:
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons PURE almond extract (Imitation just won't do in this recipe)
2/3 cup milk
Beat until combined. Then add in:
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Again, beat until combined, scrapping up any flour that sticks to the side of the bowl.
Finally add in:
1 stick melted butter.
If you'd like the top to be almond covered (I think it looks pretty) then sprinkle some slivered almonds into the bottom of the pan. Pour in the batter and carefully smooth the top. Bake at 350 for 40 - 50 minutes of until the edges are nicely browned and the cake tests done. It will puff up over the top of the pan, don't worry.
Cool completely in the pan. If you don't, the cake will break while you are trying to get it out.
Invert onto a plate, sprinkle with powered sugar and serve!
So since the baking season is upon us, I put together 2 baking gifts for you to win. Both contain the same items, but one also includes a 9 cup brownie pan. You get 9 perfect little individual brownies from one pan. Pretty cool huh?
So what up for grabs?
- The half roll bake pan
- Wilton green & white sparkling sugar
- Trader Joe's (Baker Joe's in this case) Cocoa Pearls
- Cupcake Plunger - you can easily make filled cupcakes or muffins.
- Here's all the loot! Remember one person will win what is pictured above. Another will be chosen for the additional items. So here's the brownie pan..... And here is the half roll pan..... The A cupcake plunger. I picked one up for myself. I need to get plunging!
- TO ENTER: Leave me a comment answering this question.......
- What is your favorite holiday cookie?
- Please, please, please, I can't stress this enough.....LEAVE AN EMAIL ADDRESS if you don't have a blog. If you don't leave an address, then I 'll just pick another winner, so please don't forget! 2 winner will be drawn on Monday, November 21st! If you're a follower, let me know and I'll throw in another chance for you! Good Luck!