Monday, June 3, 2013

Creamy Blueberry Pie

Creamy Blueberry Pie.3

Pie is my thing. I know for some of you it's cake or ice cream or cupcakes, but for me it's always been pie. That being said I am always on the lookout for delicious new pie recipes and boy did I find one.

This pie, this pie!

I can't rave about it enough. It's so easy to make and so damn delicious.

I'm dwindling down to the last of my frozen berries from last summer's picking. All my blueberries come from the same farm that I've been picking at for years and years, Macombers Blueberry Farm in Coventry, RI. I'm sad to see the last few bags of my blueberry stash disappearing, but if I'm going to use them up on a recipe, this is the one.

I first saw this on my friend Bunny's site Bunny's Warm Oven. Bunny was raving about it too so I decided to make it right away. That doesn't happen too often with me, but I know that most of the recipes and see and have to make right away are usually fantastic, and this one was.

It's so simple to make too. You can make your own pie crust or use the one in the little red box. I used the little red box. It's ok....really.

Creamy Blueberry Pie.5

Pin It

This is like a cross between a blueberry pie and a creamy custard. It's not overly sweet, it's just perfect.

Creamy Blueberry Pie
recipe from Bunny's Warm Oven

3 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen (if frozen thaw and drain well)
1 - 9 inch crust. (I placed my pie on parchment lined baking sheet)

For Custard:
1 cup white sugar
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/8 tsp salt
2 eggs, beaten
2/3 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice

For Streusel topping:
1/4 cup white sugar and 1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup butter

Preheat oven to 350. Place the blueberries in the pastry shell and set aside.

Combine 1 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, and salt. Whisk together. Add the eggs, sour cream and lemon, whisking until blended. Pour the sour cream custard over the blueberries.

In another bowl, combine the sugars and 1/2 cup flour. Cut in the butter with pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Sprinkle the topping over the sour cream mixture and berries in the pie shell.

Bake in the preheated oven for 50 to 55 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cool on wire rack. I covered the pie with a pie shield the last 20 minutes of baking to keep the crust from browning to much.

No comments: