Sunday, September 7, 2008

Apple Blueberry Bread


Well Miss Hanna kept her damage to a minimum, and for that we are all thankful. It was a noisy, windy night, but this morning all is calm and the sun is actually breaking through the clouds.

To celebrate the return of sunshine I thought a delicious breakfast bread was in order. Sometimes you just want something something warm and comforting. I knew a fruit filled bread would really hit the spot and go nicely with my tea. I still had a few bags of blueberries that I had picked in the freezer. This Apple Blueberry Bread was calling my name. Not overly sweet, filled with warm apples, juicy blueberries and crunchy walnuts, it's the perfect breakfast bread.


Apple Blueberry Bread
Printable Recipe
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
¾ cup plus 1 tablespoon apple juice
2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 large egg, room temp
1 ½ cups apples, peeled, cored and chopped (approx 2 large apples, I used Granny Smiths)
½ cup blueberries, fresh or frozen (thawed & drained)
½ cup walnuts (optional)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9x9x3 loaf pan.


In a large bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside. In a separate bowl combine the apple juice, lemon zest, butter and egg. Mix until well combined. Add the liquid to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Stir in the blueberries, apples and walnuts (if desired).

Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool for 15 minutes, and serve warm or at room temp.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are so right, something warm and comforting in the morning is best! I particularly enjoy warm and starchy breakfasts, that's comfort for me. Then I would have a slice of something sweet, followed by a cappuccino.
I really wished we lived next to you, I'd be there having this great, warm apple blueberry bread! When I see apples, I think of autumn already.