Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Soft Molasses Cookies


Now that the air has turned cool, and we are breaking out the sweaters and warm socks, I felt it was also time to break out the molasses. There is something warm and comforting to me about the smell of molasses. Lots of autumn smells bring me instant comfort....maple, pumpkin, clove, apple and cinnamon.

My oven will be going into overdrive from now till New Years. I have so many new recipes to try. I usually take most of my vacation in the Fall that way I have lots of time to cook and bake and research holiday recipes.

I had been looking for a great molasses cookie recipe for a few weeks now. I found this one on a blog, but I can't for the life of me remember what one! So if this is your cookie recipe, please let me know and I will glady link back to you. I had printed out so many I lost track of who's was who's. It's a fantastic recipe. This cookies are soft and chewy and filled with spicy goodness and a sugary coating. I will be making these again and again. Even my picky boys gobbled them right up.

Make sure you pull these out of the oven after 10 minutes. Don't overbake them or you won't get that soft center that makes these so terrific. This recipe make a lots of cookies, at least 4 dozen. I tried counting but some little hands (and some not so little hands) kept stealing them off the cooling racks. It makes a lot.

Soft Molasses Cookies
Printable recipe
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup molasses
2 eggs, lightly beaten
4 cups flour
1/2 tea. salt
2 1/4 tea. baking soda
2 1/4 tea. ground ginger
1 1/2 tea. ground cloves
1 1/2 tea. ground cinnamon
sugar for rolling ball into


In a large bowl, cream together the butter, shortening, and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the molasses and eggs. In another bowl combine flour, salt, baking powder and spices. Blend thoroughly with a wire whisk. Gradually mix flour mixture with the creamed mixture until dough is blended and smooth. Roll dough into balls about the size of a walnut, roll into sugar, and place on greased cookie sheet. I used parchment and they came out perfectly. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes. DO NOT OVERBAKE! You really want to take these out when they look underdone. Trust me they will set up perfectly.

Cool on wire rack and store in tightly covered container.

7 comments:

Shelley said...

Yeah, I'm the first commentor today. Those cookies look yummy. I wish I lived next door to you.

Sandy said...

Yummy, I could eat a stack of those cookies right now!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I would do anything for some cool weather! 92 here again today!

Anonymous said...

That's funny Lisa, I have been waiting for the first day of fall to start cooking warm and cozy food. I made cassoulet and it was 80 degrees outside. Your cookies look delicious.

Anonymous said...

These look really good, and you're right, they make me think of fall!

Nurse Betty L. Boop said...

Not exactly the same recipe, but pretty darn close to the one my family has been using for 20 years to win grand prizes in the county fairs in Miami, FL and Medina OH! I'll be entering them next year in Greenville, SC to see if we can make it 3 states...YUMMMMM!!

Phoo-D said...

These look soft and delicious! We love molasses. I'll have to give these a try this fall.