Monday, September 1, 2008

Pineapple Pie

It's hard to please my Dad in the sweets department. He's not a big sweets eater so I know for sure that I didn't inherit my sweet tooth from him. There are only a few dessert he will eat...most of them being pie. He will eat on very rare occasions...Lemon Meringue, Blueberry, and my kick ass Apple Pie. Another thing that he enjoys is anything with pineapple in it, so when I came across this recipe, I knew it had my Dad written all over it.

I used the pre-made dough in the red box *gasp*. I don't always have time to whip up a pie crust people!


Pineapple Pie
Printable recipe
2 – 20 oz cans of unsweetened crushed pineapple
2 ½ tablespoons of cornstarch
½ cup plus 2 ½ tablespoons juice from canned pineapple
¾ cup sugar
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon flour for bottom crust.

Preheat oven to 400 and set rack in the middle. Spray a 9 inch oven proof glass pie plate with vegetable spray. Place half the dough in the pie plate and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of flour. Trim off excess dough. Chill in fridge.

For Filling:
Place pineapple in sieve over a bowl. Drain 30 minutes, pressing gently with the palm of your hands to remove as much of the juice as possible. Reserve the juice. Place 2 ½ tablespoons of the juice in a large bowl. Whisk in the cornstarch until dissolved. Add remaining ½ cup juice and the sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, vanilla and salt. Whisk until thoroughly combined. Add pineapple and stir until evenly coated. Add mixture to the piecrust.

Add a top crust, seal and crimp the edges. Cut vents into the top of the pie and then brush with beaten egg.

Place pie on baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes. Check crust for browning. If pie is browning too quickly, cover loosing with foil or use a pie shield. Bake 15 more minutes or until top is browned. Bottom crust should be light brown and completely baked. Cool on pie rack at least 2 hrs before serving. Store pie loosely covered with wax paper at room temperature.

The bottom of this crust was a bit wet. I would pre-bake the bottom crust for 8 - 10 minutes when I make this again.

3 comments:

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

This looks delicious and very unique! I never heard of pineapple pie before this.

Lisa magicsprinkles said...

Pineapple pie sounds amazing. My kids have a joke about liking pie, aka: I heart pi (3.14159265) but I bet they never imagined pineapple pie. I think I need to make this for them. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

OMG! and this pineapple pie! It looks like something I have been craving for all my life! I have NEVER seen a pineapple pie before!

Gosh, it feels like I haven't been here in forever! Feels good to be back. I miss all your amazing baking Lisa!