Saturday, November 22, 2008

Butter Crunch Cookies


I know it's been quite a few days since I've posted, but I have a good excuse...I have be insanely busy. It's open enrollment at work, and for those of you in the HR field you know that means, lots of meetings, lots of paperwork, lots of questions, and lots of extra time. Everything wrapped up Friday afternoon, and now I am happy to say I am on vacation until December 1st.

This is one of my absolute favorite times of year. I have been crafting almost every night, planning menus and shopping lists, and taking care of all the last minute details that go into a holiday meal. Monday John and I are going to check out one of the oldest operating country stores in the U.S. It's been in operation since 1809! How come I just heard about it now? Hopefully we will finish up our Christmas shopping and then the cleaning begins. I kind of go into a cleaning frenzy before every holiday. I think John's even used to it now.

I did manage to squeeze in some time so I could make a batch of these delicious cookies. It was the first two words that got me...butter...crunch. Say no more. I had to make them. I did half this recipe. I thought the original would just make too many cookies for us. It would be great if you were making these for a cookie swap or party though. These had such a terrific buttery taste and just the right amount of crunchy chewiness. If you love butter pecan ice cream, you'll love these!

This recipe is adapted from Taste of Home, Best of Cookies & Bars.


Butter Crunch Cookies
Printable recipe
1 cup of butter, softened (2 sticks)
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon cream of tarter
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups lightly crushed cornflakes
1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)

In a large mixing bowl cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Combine the flour, cream of tater, baking soda and salt in a bowl and whisk. Gradually add the creamed mixture to the butter & sugar. Stir in cornflakes and pecans (if desired). Mixture will be thick and almost dough like.

Roll into 1 inch balls. Place 1 inch apart on greased baking sheet. Bake at 350 for 10 - 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool for 2 minutes on sheet and remove to wire rack.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am absolutely making these. These are so, so nice looking...thank you!

Anonymous said...

Lisa, how do you think these cookies would be dipped halfway (one side only) in chocolate?

Gotta have my chocolate.

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

Hmmm dipped half way in chocolate. Well Mystery Guest I think they might be pretty good. They have a very buttery taste, prolly cause of the butter, lol. I didn't put pecans in mine cause of the kids, but I would highly suggest you put them in if you like nuts.

I'd say go for the chocolate, and please, let me know how they turn out. I'm very curious!

Bunny said...

You had my with crunchy chewy!! Yes this is a keeper!

The Blonde Duck said...

I saw you on Bunny's blog and wanted to say hello! I love the cookies!

Anonymous said...

so the cookies don't call for any eggs?

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

Nope, no eggs.