Sunday, November 30, 2008

7-Up Cake

I have never in my life heard of 7-Up Cake and probably never would have if I had not come across the path of a fellow foodie friend Dan. He and I frequent the same food forum and have "known" each other for years. Business is taking him to my little corner of the world. He arrives in town tonight so I invited him over for dinner. There's a pot roast cooking in the oven, a salad to prep, some biscuits to make, but dessert is finished.

I asked Dan to name his 5 favorite desserts and this 7-Up Cake was on the list. It intrigued me and since he told me it was one that his Granny used to make for his birthday...well my decision was made.

I'm not sure if this was the way his Granny made it. I found quite a few recipes for different versions of this cake, most of them extremely simple. Some had a pineapple topping. Not knowing if Dan really liked pineapple, I opted for a simple orange glaze to compliment the tangy cake. Well at least I hope it's tangy, that's what the review said anyway.

I'm looking forward to meeting Dan and letting him get to know my crazy family and friends. I think he'll have a great time.

If you'd like to check out a very cool website and read some history behind this cake check out
Culinary Types.



7-Up Cake - circa 1965

Printable recipe
1 package white or yellow cake mix
1 small package lemon jello
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup 7-Up soda

Directions:Pour 7-up into a cup slowly to retain bubbles, but not have a lot of foam on top. (that's the way the recipe was written)

Put all ingredients into mixing bowl and beat two to three minutes at medium speed. Pour batter into greased and floured tube pan. Bake at 350 degrees 45 to 60 minutes until cakes tests done and barely begins to pull away from sides of pan. Cool in pan 10 minutes then move to wire rack to cool completely. Glaze cake if desired, or sprinkle with powdered sugar.

Glaze
2 cups Confectioner's sugar
4 tablespoons orange juice
1/2 teaspoon vanilla



Mix together and drizzle over cooled cake.

I hope Dan likes it!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay this is a must try for me, will be doing it pretty soon.

Anonymous said...

I love classic, old recipes like this. And how great is that to use 7-up?! Thanks for sharing this site, I'll go check it out...

Lisa magicsprinkles said...

How cool! I can't wait to hear how he likes it/how it turned out!

krysta said...

i have seen this a couple different places and i always think of fizzy cake. is that strange?

Dan said...

I LOVED it and got to take some to the hotel :o)

Thanks for the wonderful dinner and awesome company!

for the record, the one my Granny made had pineapple, coconut and pecans, but this one is to.die.for too.

Bunny said...

I've never made a 7 up cake, it looks very good! Let us know what you think of it!

Sandra :) said...

I tried the recipe tonight - easy to make, and tasted great!

Anonymous said...

Krysta - It is very similar - just with some premade ingredients rather from scratch. Calling it 7-up cake is just a tradition started by most people's grandmothers/mothers XD