Friday, January 16, 2009

Comfy Cozy Blankies


Isn’t it funny how families come up with their own little names or saying for things. In our house we call peroxide “bubble juice”, a name that it was given years ago as we held many a skinned knee over the bathroom sink. Slippers are called “pu-puns”, and when something is icky or yucky we say it’s “ca-ca putz”. Strange I know but not one of us in this house questions the strangeness of it all. Which brings us to the title of this post. Comfy Cozies. Let me explain comfy cozies in further detail. We use this term for a variety of different circumstances. For instance:

When you are getting settled on the couch and there is a little chill in the room you might call to one of your sons and say, “Please get Mama a comfy cozy, I’m freezing”

Or perhaps you have just eaten a delicious beef stew and with your belly warm and satisfied you would say, “Oh now my tummy is all comfy cozy”.

Cold feet? Not a problem “I love these comfy cozy socks that Grandma got me for Christmas”.

New sweater? “This is so warm I am totally comfy cozy in it”.

Cuppa tea and a magazine “I’m just going to relax and get all comfy cozy on the couch”.

Hot cocoa? “Drink this, it will make you all comfy cozy inside”

We use it a lot, but it is most referred to when we are discussing throws and blankets. One blanket in particular is the comfiest and coziest of them all, the thick fleece Steelers blanket that John’s Aunt made for him. With two layers of fleece, it is the warmest, and most sought after blanket in the house. In fact, John just stole it back after Jesse kidnapped it for well over 6 months. In order to bring some order back into the house, I decided that it was time for the boys to have their very own comfy cozies. The Steelers blanket was one of those no sew, cut and tie blankets. So Monday night the boys and I headed out to Jo-Ann Fabrics to pick out the fleece of their choice. Once we got to the material section we were tickled to see that Jo-Ann’s was having a 50% off sale on fleece blanket kits. The prices were much cheaper than the fleece by the yard, so they picked out two they liked, Jesse a cosmic/celestial one and Evan a Wall-E themed one.

We couldn’t have picked a better time to make these blankets. Bitter cold has gripped most of the east coast, and to say it is frigid is an understatement, so it was perfect timing for warm, thick blankies. Tonight we pushed the coffee table off to the side, spread the fleece across the living room and the boys got started on comfy cozy production.


There was lots of cutting..



....lots and lots.


Did I mention.....lots?

Then the tying began.

So they tied and tied and after a few hours, and many tired fingers, we had two completed comfy cozies.

Even Moose couldn't resist the coziness of the new blankies.

3 comments:

Doreen Frost said...

What a fun and comfy cozy thing to do on a cold winters day :)

Doreen

Anonymous said...

I love that they did it themselves...I need a comfy cozy...even though we have 70 degrees in the day at night it's still about 30-35 so could they make me one?

Judy D in WA said...

What a great term! I love that you documented the boys working on the comfy cozies. I'm a bit chilly right now, I need my comfy cozy.
:-)