Friday, January 2, 2009

Teriyaki Chicken Wings


I'm on a fast and easy kick lately can you tell? I hosted (as usual) a New Year's Eve party for a few close friends. Yes they made it through the snow! I wanted to make some chicken wings but I didn't want them doused in a heavy sauce, leaving everyone with sticky, gooey fingers, but I still wanted them to taste good. I searched and searched for a recipe and my inspiration came from Carol at Bunny's Warm Oven. Teriyaki Chicken Wings - easy and so good it's not funny. Carol got this recipe from the Boston Globe over 30 years ago. Yeah Boston!! That makes it even cooler in my book. Thanks Carol!

I could only find a 10 pound bag of plain, raw wings at my local warehouse club. So I pulled out about 6 pound of them. Let me tell you that kitchen scale comes in really handy. I tripled the recipe for the marinade and I added in some fresh grated ginger, cause I am just a nut for ginger, especially when it's paired with teriyaki.


Teriyaki Chicken Wings

6 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons applesauce (Carol recommends using sweetened)
1 clove of garlic, minced
I added in:1 tablespoon grated ginger

If your wings are frozen you need to thaw them out in the fridge a day before you want to use them. Once thawed, rinse your chicken wings and pat them dry. Put into a large zip lock bag. I ended up using 2 since I had so many wings.

Mix all the marinade ingredients in a bowl. Pour over chicken, return to the fridge and let marinate overnight. Keep your bags in a bowl, just in case they leak. You don't want leaky chicken juice all over your fridge. Not good. Turn them every once in while, making sure the marinade is getting distributed evenly.

When you are ready to bake them, line a large cookie sheet with foil and grease lightly with cooking spray. Bake at 375 for approximately 45 minutes, turning once during cooking. I stuck mine under the broiler for the last few minutes to get them all nice and brown and crunchy.

4 comments:

Sam I Am said...

This sounds yummy!
My hubby makes chicken wings on the grill..and then once grilled..he brings inside and puts them in a pan of melted butter and Franks hot saucse..tosses it around a bit.. lets 'em cook a little on low heat (while he grills the pizzas)..and they are soooo good!
We never buy chicken wings from the pizza places anymore..we always make our own..soooo much more yummier!
I will have to show him your recipe and give this a try!
Happy New Year!

Hugs..
sandy

Carol said...

Lisa-your chicken wings look FANTASTIC! I'm so glad you liked them....I also like the addition of fresh ginger-will have to give that a whirl the next time I make them.
Happy New Year!!! :)

Anonymous said...

It's an interesting recipe with the applesauce...I guess that's what they used 30 years ago!

Anonymous said...

These look sooo good! Thanks for the recipe.

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal