Monday, January 26, 2009

Frozen Strawberry Dessert

Yesterday was my Mom's birthday. I made her and my Dad lunch. My version of surf 'n turf....grilled t-bones and teriyaki swordfish with roasted vegetables and a pesto seafood with orzo. Everything was delicious with a capital D.

I had asked my Mom earlier in the week what she wanted for dessert and she replied "something light and fruity". So off to dig into recipes for spring and summer cause that's where all my light and fruity recipes are. Into my hands fell a recipe for a frozen strawberry dessert. I could use something sweet and summery right about now (even if there are piles and piles of snow still covering the ground).

This would be absolutely fantastic during the summer. It's cool and refreshing and has really intense strawberry flavor. It reminded me of those strawberry shortcake pops we would get off the ice cream truck.


Another great thing about this recipe......it needs to sit at least 8 hours in the freezer. I love "make it the night before" desserts.

Frozen Strawberry Dessert
Printable recipe
1 cup all purpose flour
¼ cup packed brown sugar
½ cup cold butter
½ cup chopped pecans
2 cups frozen, unsweetened strawberries, thawed.
(I bought whole frozen in a bag, brand name started with a W...Wyman, Wyland, something like that. They were great)
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped until thickened


In a small bowl combine the flour and brown sugar; cut in the butter until crumbly. Stir in pecans. Press into ungreased 9 inch square baking pan. Bake at 250 for 14 – 16 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.

Crumble the baked pecan mixture and set-aside ½ cup for topping. Sprinkle the remaining mixture into an 8 inch square dish.

In a large mixing bowl, beat the strawberries, sugar and lemon juice until blended. Fold in whipped cream. Spread evenly into dish. Sprinkle with reserved pecan mixture. Cover and freeze for 8 hours or overnight. Let stand a half hour at room temp before cutting. In the summer it might not take that long to defrost, but in kitchen that day, it took
a half hour.

3 comments:

Sandy said...

Hi Lisa - I have that exact recipe and my mom made it all the time! A great family memory. I made it w/our fresh strawberries (frozen) this last summer YUM!

Bunny said...

How could you not love something that tastes like those strawberry shortcake pops!

Lisa magicsprinkles said...

Love these! SO easy and so yummy!