Sunday, January 4, 2009

Millie's Quick Dessert Cake

This is a recipe that my Grandmother Millie, aka klepto ring stealer, made for many, many years. It was her "go to" recipe. The ingredients were usually always in the house and it came together quickly, so if you find out in the morning that you have company coming for dinner, you can whip this baby up in no time at all. The toppings are endless. You could serve it to the same guests again and again and make it totally different.

My favorite version is apple and blueberry. That fact that you can use a a pie filling as a topping comes in handy too. Yes you can use PIE FILLING...in a CAN! Don't judge me people.

Most of the time I use Cracker Barrel's Fried Apples. They are so good. Anyone whose eaten this at the restaurant knows what I'm talkin' about. I chop them up just a bit then top the cake with them. Next comes my frozen blueberry stash from this past summer. No need to defrsot them, just drop them in straight from the freezer. It's such a great combination.

Just think of all of the different versions you can make with this cake....peaches in the summer...topped with fresh whipped cream....summer dessert heaven! Once I made it with pineapple pie filling and coconut. Tropically delicious. I have also used Comstocks "Country Apple" filling when I'm out of the Cracker Barrel Fried Apples. I did have a jar in the cupboard so this version was the Fried Apple & Blueberry.

Here's what the topping looks like before it goes in the oven. Don't worry all those apples and berries will sink into the cake.

After it comes out of the oven, all golden and delicious.

Every time I make this cake I think of my Gram. She's still with us, but with the Alzheimer's, not so much, if you know what I mean. When I take this cake out of the oven I can see her with her apron on, standing in her kitchen, shaking on the powered sugar, bringing a piece over to my Pa and he would always say "Thank you darlin' ". It's a very good memory for a cake to have.

Millie's Quick Dessert Cake
Printable recipe
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, (room temp)
2 cups flour
1 ½ cups sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
4 eggs
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 – 21 ounce can of fruit pie filling or fresh fruit or whatever else you think might taste good!
Powered sugar for dusting.


Preheat the oven to 350.

In large bowl cream together butter & sugar. Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Add the almond extract. Whisk the flour & baking powder together and add it to the mixture. Beat until smooth. The batter will be thick. Grease a 9x13 inch pan. Spread batter evenly into the pan. Take pie filling or fruit and scatter all over the top of the cake. Don't be afriad to put some of the juicy part of the filling on there too. It will all will sink into cake as it bakes.

Bake for 45 - 50 minutes until golden brown, or until tests done. *Check the center! Cool, dust with powered sugar.

This cake is going to my nephews birthday party today. It will be gobbled up before the store bought brithday cake....never fails.


Note: I have great success using my very seasoned Pampered Chef stoneware pan when I make this. The stoneware prevents it from becoming mushy in the center, but if you don’t have stoneware, don’t worry, just use a Pyrex baking dish and check to make sure the middle is baked through.

3 comments:

amycaseycooks said...

My Mom used to make a cake similar to this one. And it used canned pie filling too. I loved it and will now make your version. I can't wait!!

Bunny said...

You are a riot ( ring comment)! And there's nothing wrong with canned pie filling!! I eat cherry pie filling out of the can!! That's sick I know but I love it. Your right this is a very nice cake and I'll make it with cherry pie filling, if I can stop myself from eating it all.

Doreen Frost said...

Sounds yummy...I am going to make t his tomorrow...when it's all snowy and blustery outside (we have a big ole snow storm coming in)!! Now, will it work with fresh apples? If not I do have some frozen blueberries I can use :)

Thank so much for stopping by this morning...don't feel like a sap for tearing up....I think you are very sweet for it...I cried when I read it :)!

Hugs,
Doreen