Saturday, February 7, 2009

Cinnamon Biscuit Rolls

I toyed with calling these Cinnamon Rolls then I thought about calling them Cinnamon Biscuits. In the end I decided on Cinnamon Biscuit Rolls to cover all my bases cause they really are like a cross between a true cinnamon roll and a flaky biscuit.

When I heard a A Southern Grace was having a cinnamon celebration I knew I had to make these. Like her, cinnamon is one of my favorite flavors, smells, tastes…you get the idea. Last night I broke out two of my oldest recipe collections to search for a recipe worthy of this contest. 25 years ago when I first started cooking I clipped and gathered recipes from all different sources. Most hand written by women I had worked with over the years. This one was simply titled “Great for Quick Breakfast!” I’m not sure just whose recipe this was because I don’t recognize the handwriting, but it sure has proven to be a good one over the years. Quick and easy make, and like the title originally proclaimed “Great!”


Cinnamon Biscuit Rolls
Printable recipe

2 cups all purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons butter, divided
¾ cup milk

For filling mix together:
¼ cup sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Glaze:
1 cup confectioners sugar
1 tablespoon butter, softened
5 to 6 teaspoons milk
½ teaspoon vanilla extract


Preheat the oven to 450. In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder and the salt. Cut in 4 tablespoons of cold butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the milk until just moistened. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently 8 to 10 times. Roll into an 11 x 8 inch rectangle about ½ inch thick. Melt the remaining butter and brush one tablespoon over the dough. Combine the sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over the butter. Roll it up jellyroll style starting with the long edge.

Cut into equal slices. I did this by first cutting it in half, then in half again, etc. I ended up with 11 piece cause the end piece was just to small. Place cut side down on a greased 8-inch square pan. Brush with remaining butter. Bake at 450 for 18 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes. Combine glaze ingredients and spread over warm biscuits. Serve immediately.

You know what, I don’t even have to say serve immediately cause when you smell these babies coming out of the oven, it will be all you can do to stop your family members from knocking you down stampede fashion to get to these. They are that good.

8 comments:

krysta said...

omg!!! i'm am drooling!!! you can tell how much by all the exclamation marks.

love the new banner.. that's probably not so new but new to me i love it anyways!

grace said...

glorious! there's a whole lot of goodness on those plates. i'd prefer to have a whole lot of goodness in my belly. :)

mis said...

Slurp! Very nice!

preTzel said...

I made your "To Die For Blueberry Muffins" this morning and they were met by big approval from my preTzel boys. Tomorrow I'll try these because we love cinnamon! I'm sending you my bill for my stay at the fat farm. *wink*

Anonymous said...

Oh nice and I don't care what you call them...I want them.

Lindsey said...

Those look marvellous. I looooove cinnamon rolls :)

Unknown said...

this is a must try... no yeast, yey!!! :)

Donna-FFW said...

MY Goodness.. do these ever look good. They are so on my list to try!!