Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Sausage Bites with Apricot Mustard Dipping Sauce

Well my computer guru at work fixed me all up. What the cable guy couldn't figure out, Steve did in about 2 minutes. So my precious photos are saved and all my files are back and I am breathing a huge sigh of relief. Thanks Steve!

Are you ready for a quick and easy appetizer? I mean really easy? These come together in a flash.

John, Mitch and I sat around Sunday and I cooked up a batch of these bad boys and I’m not ashamed to say that the three of us polished off every last one, and quickly too. What am I talking about?? You read the post title didn’t ya? Sausage bites! Little morsels of sausage nestled into a flaky puff pastry then plunged into a delectable dipping sauce. While the sausage cooks all that yummy sausage juice drips down into the puff pastry and gives it such a fantastic flavor. These taste great just as they are, but then you get to dip them into a tangy apricot mustard dip and it’s pure nirvana in your mouth.

I scrounged through all my cookie cutters for a 1 ¼ inch circle cutter, but I didn’t have one so I used a flower shaped cutter that I had and it worked out perfect. (They looked so cute!) If you don’t have a 1 ¼ inch cutter (besides professional pasty chefs who does?) just use anything you can get your hands on that is roughly an inch round or even a little bigger wouldn’t hurt.


I wish I had this recipe at Superbowl time. It would have been a huge hit.

Sausage Bites with Apricot Mustard Dipping Sauce
Printable recipe
1 pound sweet or hot Italian sausage
1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed in the fridge
1 egg beaten


Preheat the oven to 400.

Cut the sausage into 36 half inch slices (I cut one link in half and then cut the halves into 3 pieces)

Brush 1 sheet of frozen puff pastry with the beaten egg and cut into 36 - 1 ¼ inch circles. Top each sausage round with a pastry circle.

Skewer each stack with a toothpick or small skewer and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake 18 – 20 minutes, or until the puff pastry is golden brown.

Apricot Mustard Dip
¼ cup apricot jam (no seeds)
6 tablespoons Dijon mustard

Mix together and start dippin’.

5 comments:

Bunny said...

Puff pastry and sausage, I can handle that combination! The dipping sauce sounds like it would be very good too.

Melissa said...

Oh man. Those look as good as I thought they would.

Glad everything got resolved!

Lyd Stew said...

Wow- what a clever idea!

Anonymous said...

I ran across your blog by googling Cake Balls. Your are so creative! I hope that you will post more soon. My husband does ALL the cooking at our house. After reading your blog I felt a little inspired and made these sausage bites. De-lish!
Catherine
Madison, MS

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!