Friday, February 20, 2009

Loaded Banana Bread


When I saw
The Hungry House Wife's recipe for her Banana Bread on Cathy's blog Noble Pig it only took me a minute to print that baby out, grab my mushy bananas and start baking. Plain ole banana bread is great on it's own, but add in blueberries, coconut and walnuts and you have super charged banana bread.


Moist and loaded with flavor, it's the perfect afternoon snack. Course that doesn't mean we didn't eat it for breakfast too.

Today we are off to see Coraline and then take the kids, +1 (we have Sara joining us today), to an a restaurant called Fire & Ice, they say they are an improvisational grill, whatever that means. It's one of my favorite places to eat. You choose all your food from a huge bar loaded with fresh noodles, meats, veggies and fish, then you pick a sauce and head over to a gigantic grill where some very entertaining young men cook your food for you. There's warm tortilla and rice waiting at the table too. I just love the place and since the kids have never been, we decided to make a day of it in the big city. Should be a fun day.

The Hungry Housewife's Banana Bread
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon table salt
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
4 ripe, nasty looking bananas, smooshed up real good
1/3 cup buttermilk
1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped and toasted
1 cup shredded, sweetened coconut
1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen (thawed), plus a handful for sprinkling on top
1 Tablespoon pure vanilla extract
In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and table salt. Set aside.



Cream together butter and sugar until white and fluffy; about three minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, until fully incorporated. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the mixture alternating with buttermilk. Start and end with dry ingredients. Stir in mashed bananas, coconut, vanilla, 1 cup blueberries and walnuts.

Lightly grease or line with parchment two 8 x 4 loaf pans. Fill both pans with batter and throw a handful of blueberries on top. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 45 to 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out with only a slight amount of crumbs on it. Cool before slicing.


6 comments:

Laura said...

This looks absolutely delicious!

I will have to try this recipe out this weekend!!

If you get chance, check out my banana bread recipe blog!

Laura

Leslie said...

Thanks sooooo much for the shout out on my bread!!! I am so glad you liked it!!

Anjeanette said...

Oh my this looks delish!

Anonymous said...

I wish I had more of this bread, it's ridiculously addicting.

Daziano said...

Banana bread with blueberries... Hmmm... that's a wonderful idea!!!

Lyd Stew said...

Wow- that looks amazing! I hadn't thought of blueberries! Inspiring! I know what to do with my next batch of banana bread!