Saturday, February 28, 2009

Rice Krispie Treats with Chocolate Peanut Butter Topping

I’m going back to basics a bit people. Be prepared to experience plain and simple, dare I say old-fashioned favorites, cause you know what I have discovered? Some of the people who are part of the “younger generation” don’t have a freakin’ clue how to cook even the simplest things? It’s true! I fear the fast food nation we live in has depleted our youth of the inspiration to cook anything. Why make it when you can buy it in a sack?

So I thought I’d start off with an easy, nutritious and healthy snack for those beginners out there who just don’t know where to start. Ok I was kidding on the nutritious and healthy part but the easy part was true and these actually are a far better snack then some things you can shove in your pie hole. A version of this recipe is even on the Weight Watchers menu, but I’m sure it doesn’t include a stick of butter. Silly nillies at Weight Watchers. I also added a chocolate peanut butter topping cause we all know chocolate makes everything better.



Rice Krispie Treats with Chocolate Peanut Butter Topping
Printable recipe
1 stick unsalted butter
1 (16oz) bag mini marshmallows
7 cups rice krispies
9x13 inch pan, buttered very well

Topping
1 1/2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup peanut butter chips


Melt the butter in a very large saucepan. You want room to stir. Once the butter is melted add the marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Add cereal and mix well. I used a large spatula sprayed with cooking spray. It’s gonna be messy, just deal with it. That’s why we have soap and water.

Immediately press into pan. I wet my fingers to really pat it down into the pans.

Place the chocolate chips into a microwave safe bowl. Microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring each time. As soon as most of the chips are melted, give it another good stir. The chips should be smooth at this point. Pour over the rice krispies and smooth over with an off set spatula, covering the entire top of the pan.

Let pan cool completey. Cut into squares, or diamonds, or circles, you can let your krispie creative side flow here.

Call in the kids and watch the smiles on their faces.


Sometimes the best foods are the simplest.

9 comments:

White on Rice Couple said...

How come no one ever made rice krispy treats look this tasty when I was a kid? It's sacrilege to take out the butter, silly WW. I'm starting to miss those childhood treats. Todd -WORC

Anonymous said...

I love the circles! I'm inspired!

krysta said...

i love everything about this post. the circle and the chocolate and the butter...

Vera said...

Yummy treats, Lisa! Love their shape :)

Anonymous said...

No peanut butter is mentioned in the instructions....

Anonymous said...

Read the ingredients. There are peanut butter chips....

Anonymous said...

yeah, the ingredients say peanut butter chips, but not the directions. Some recipes put the peanut butter into the rice crispy mix. Which is suggested for this recipe?

deepali said...

hey! how many days will these keep?

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

ddepali - I would say at least 4 -5 days tightly covered!