Monday, August 9, 2010

Frozen Pina Colada Pie

Pina Colada Pie

Do you remember way back when the Food Network first started? I think it was called TV Food Network back then.

I remember being thrilled that there was a channel dedicated to all things food.

Oh the recipes I'd gather and since I had a computer back in the early 90's, I didn't have to sit in front of the TV with a paper and pencil in hand feverishly trying to write down the recipe. I could go to the internet and copy and paste and shazam - I had me a recipe.

This was one of the first recipes that got from TV Food Network.

I can't remember the name of the show. I remember it was showcasing "island food" and there was a commentator with a soothing and tranquil voice, and I remember seeing this pie and thinking, I want to eat that.

This is a fantastic summer dessert. You can make it the night before...in fact, because it has to freeze for a minimum of 8hrs, you do need to make it the night before.

It's cool, fruity and creamy all at the same time. A totally refreshing dessert with a knock-out pina colada taste.

Pina Colada slice 1


Frozen Pina Colada Pie
4 ounces cream cheese (softened)
1 cup sweetened condensed milk
½ cup pineapple juice
½ cup shredded coconut
3 cups whipped topping, divided
½ cup crushed pineapple, drained *see tip
1 large graham cracker crust ** (yup another tip)

Combine cream cheese, milk & pineapple juice and beat until thoroughly mixed.

Fold in coconut, crushed pineapple, & 1½ cups of the whipped topping. Pour mixture into pie shell. Freeze until firm. Top with remaining Cool Whip.

If desired garnish with toasted coconut, chocolate shavings or nuts. Return to freezer for at least 8 hours. Let stand ½ hour before serving.

* Tip: Buy the large can of crushed pineapples and you can use the juice from the can.

**Keebler now makes a larger graham cracker crust pie shell. This recipe makes enough to fill a large 9 inch pie shell, if using a smaller store bought pie shell, you will have more than enough to fill the pie shell – you can freeze remaining filling in a container for a treat later!!

Pina Colada slice

9 comments:

Jessica @ How Sweet said...

This looks to die for. I love pina colada!

TKW said...

You had me at Pina Colada. My favorite thing other than lemon is pineapple/coconut...dreamy looking!

Butterbean said...

Looks fab, but I wonder if you could substitute Coco Lopez (Cream of coconut) for the sweetened condensed milk?

Pam said...

This is definitely my kind of pie! It looks delicious! I'm new here and see lots of great recipes like those puffs below!

Unknown said...

It is a thing of beauty I tell you

Amy said...

Did someone say pie? My weakness in life. I would have been hypnotized without soothing and tranquil voice.

Fay said...

Oh wow, this looks AMAZING!!

Thanks again for letting me post the recipe! It's no posted and I'm enjoying some right now. I've made 2 cakes in the past week! It's been a HUGE hit!

Monica H said...

I remember when you had to send money to get the recipes mailed to you- of course that was only if you didn't have a computer. But can you imagine if they still did that?!

That picture of the full slice of pie could not be more perfect. Those layers are stunning.

Lora said...

Wow. A party in a pie! Looks melt in your mouth good.