Thursday, August 19, 2010

Oats n' Honey Granola Pie

Oats N' Honey Granola Pie CU1




I made this pie for my friend Mitch's birthday a few weeks ago.

Mitch is not exactly what you would call a sweets lover.

He will eat the occasional dessert, but he's really more of a main course kinda guy. He loves his food hot and spicy, and well, I'm so not a hot and spicy person. Coming up with a dessert that he will enjoy isn't easy, but he does love this pie.

If you like granola and if you like pecan pie and if you like sticky, sweet and chocolaty goodness, then you will love this pie.

I've been making this pie for the last 7 years. It was the winner of the 2004 Pillsbury Bake Off.

You can serve this at room temperature or warm it up and top it with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. We went "naked" and just gobbled it up plain this time.

Oats N' Honey Granola Pie slice
I like to use pecans in this recipe, but feel free to use walnuts if you prefer.

Oats n’ Honey Granola Pie
1 pie crust, softened (yup I used Pillsbury and I'm not ashamed to admit it)
1/2vcup butter
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup corn syrup
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 eggs, lightly beaten
4 Nature Valley Oats ‘n Honey crunchy granola bars (2 pouches from 8.9oz box), crushed (about ¾ a cup)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
1/4 cup quick cooking or old-fashioned oats
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Oven to 350. Please the pie crust in a 9 inch glass pie pan.

In a large microwavable bowl, microwave the butter on high 50 – 60 seconds or until melted. Stir in the brown sugar and corn syrup until blended. Beat in the salt, vanilla and eggs. Stir in the crushed granola bars, walnuts, oats and chocolate chips into the mixture. Pour into pie plate.

Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until filling is set and crust is golden brown. During the last 15 to 20 minutes of baking, check to see that the crusts isn’t browning too quickly. If it is, cover it with a pie saver or some foil. Cool at least 30 mins before eating. Serve warm or room temperature. Can be served with whipped topping or ice cream. Store in fridge.


Oats N' Honey Granola Pie CU2

11 comments:

TKW said...

Never heard of such a thing but if it won the Bake-Off, I'm sure it's a winner. Intriguing!

Amy said...

"...winner of the 2004 Pillsbury Bake Off." That's an awesome award for a cooking resume. I would have tried this even without the accolades, though. Yum.

Anonymous said...

Pretty nice place you've got here. Thanx for it. I like such themes and anything connected to them. I would like to read more soon.

Kate Swenson

Anonymous said...

Sounds yummy and if I can get a better handle on the carb content and if it's relatively OK (I have pre-diabetes), I plan on making this. I can figure out the # of carbs on my own but how much corn syrup is there? It just says "3/4". I'm assuming it's a typo. I'm assuming even more it's 3/4 C but I'll defer to you. Thanks Lisa! GEFP Littlebit

Unknown said...

it is gorgeous and I am bookmarking

Anonymous said...

You've got such a lovely blog, I just discovered it and am enjoying your archives. This granola pie looks scrumptious.

I grew up in RI (Chepachet) and your blog really captures the essence of New England. :)

Take Care, Nadia

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

Sharon - thanks I fixed that. It is 3/4 cups. I guess I was typing fast, lol.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I was afraid of that. Sigh...with just the corn syrup and brown sugar alone, I'm already looking at 210 carbs for the whole pie or (roughly) 26 per slice (based on 8 slices). And that's before the counting the granola bars, pie crust, oats and chocolate chips. Anything about (roughly) 30 carbs at a time is something I should really stay away from. Ah well...'twasn't meant to be. Or maybe I'll just save it for a special treat, like at Christmas. Sounds wonderful, though. Glad I could help with the typo.

Kim said...

You hit the nail on the head with the "not ashamed to admit" Pillsbury pie crust comment. I rarely make pie crust because of the time it involves It's a once in a blue moon endeavor.

And even more, I eat fairly healthy, unprocessed and fresh food all of the time. A little pie dough is not going to kill me - just the opposite- the love that goes into making this pie will make my life and those around me- far richer.

This looks like heaven on a fork.

kickpleat said...

This pie sounds amazing and I think it would make a perfect fall treat (it's almost fall, right?).

Katie said...

Oh my gosh...I know what I'll be making in the very near future. That sounds so good!