Monday, August 30, 2010

Portabella Prosciutto Burger

Portabella Pros Burger2

This was such a delicious burger.

Yeah, yeah I know it technically isn't a burger per say....or is it?? I do know that is was damn delicious. I could eat one of these 3 time a week.

I've been making portabella burgers for a long time. It's one of my favorite things to throw on the grill. I usually will grill up a nice big slice of onion to go along with it, but when I made this a small monsoon decided to pass through, so we were grilling these while marble-sized drops of water bombed us. Let's just say the grill was a smokin'. Regardless of the torrential rain, we managed to grill them to perfection.

This was the 2nd Pioneer Woman recipe I made last week. I pretty much followed her recipe but I was a wee bit skeptical about the first step where she soaked the mushrooms in wine. So I did a little experiment. I soaked only half of them in wine, grilled them all up and you know what....no noticeable difference. Next time I'll skip the wine step and save it for drinkin'.

Portabella Pros Burger1

I opted not to make PW's herbed mayonnaise either. It had a wee too much basil in it for me and I felt it might overpower the mushroom, so I used my own herbed mayo. It's my go-to recipe. I make it about once a month and keep a little container of it in the fridge. It's extra special mayo. Now who wouldn't want that on their sammich?

Herbed Mayo
1/2 cup mayonnaise
juice from half a lemon
1 teaspoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
1 teaspoons fresh chives, finely chopped
few springs fresh thyme, finely chopped
1 heaping teaspoon of Dijon mustard
2 cloves of garlic minced

Mix it all together and store in the fridge.


Here's the recipe for PW's Burger. I call them Portabella with an A at the end. PW puts on O at the end. I'm partial to the A and since I'm Italian and I'm pretty sure that Ree is not, I'm stickin' with my A. Ok.

Portabella Prosciutto Burgers
8 whole Large Portobello Mushrooms
1 cup Red Wine (optional)
Olive Oil For Brushing
Salt And Pepper, to taste
4 slices Provolone Cheese
4 slices Prosciutto
4 whole Kaiser Rolls, Split
Extra Basil Leaves or fresh greens

Preparation Instructions
Rinse mushrooms thoroughly. Soak in red wine for 20 to 30 minutes (this is totally optional!)

Grill mushrooms in a grill pan or on a charcoal grill, brushing lightly with olive oil and sprinkling with salt and pepper. Melt provolone cheese over the four largest mushrooms. Remove mushrooms from grill and stack the other four mushrooms on top of the cheese-topped mushrooms.

Drizzle griddle with olive oil. Toast kaiser rolls over medium-low heat until very crispy and toasted.

Spread herbed mayonnaise on both the roll. Place the double-decker mushroom on the bottom half, then place the prosciutto slice on top. Finally, top with basil leaves (or fresh greens like I did) and the other half of the roll. Press lightly so some of the juices from the mushrooms will run into the bottom half of the roll.

Serve immediately.

9 comments:

TKW said...

You had me at Prosciutto! Love my salty pig! Those burgers look fabulous!

Kim said...

I like the sounds of your go-to mayo. I don't use that much mayo any more, but I sure would use this on my sammich!

I think you made a good call on the drinking over the soaking, too. I'm not sure a soggy mushroom on the grill beats a dry mushroom. And the prosciutto! YUM. We've been munching on it over the last week, too. I love the idea of a tiny sliver of meat being so full of flavor.

Megg said...

Wow.. that photo has me salivating! I love portabella burgers.. never thought of doing it with prosciutto! Hmm.. I think I know what I'll be grilling up soon... :)

LimeCake said...

oh gosh that looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

Is it not a bit burnt! Can't be good for you.

Anonymous said...

Yum, so now I have to hit here and Nancy's before I meal plan.

I ate Portabello burgers all the time when I was a vegetarian, but they did not look as gorgeous at that.

I pulled the PW cookbook out tonight. It's almost fall, time for stick to your ribs cooking.

Kim said...

Making this tonight and drinking the red wine per your suggestion. I'm somehow going to try to put these inside a big lavash wrap since I don't have any hamburger buns. Can't wait!

test it comm said...

That is one tasty looking mushroom burger!

Annie said...

I made this the other night, and it was sooo good!! I am linking you to my blog!
http://mermaidsmurmur.blogspot.com/2012/08/pinterest-recipe.html