Saturday, April 12, 2008

Firecracker Shrimp


I am becoming a regular at the Asian market that I discovered was only 15 minutes from my house thanks to Jaden at Jadens Steamy Kitchen, who's blog I follow like a bible. She makes some of the most incredible food I have ever seen, so I thought it was about time I tasted some too. This is her recipe for Firecracker Shrimp - so called cause they look like little firecrackers.

I made a batch of these up as an appetizer for John who had gone to a Beer Fest today with my brother, since I knew they could use some food to sop up all the booze.

These were absolutely delicious. Evan took one bite of one of mine, walked over to the plate and grabbed three more.


Firecracker Shrimp
25 large tail-on shrimp, deveined and nicked (see above)
15 eggroll/springroll wrappers, cut in half diagonally (2 triangles)
Oil for frying

Marinade 1 tsp minced garlic 1/2 tsp grated ginger (using rasp grater) 1/2 tsp sesame oil 1 tsp soy sauce 1 tsp sweet chili sauce 1 tsp cornstarch
Cornstarch "paste" (mix well to form paste) 1 Tb cornstarch 1/4 cup water
1. Combine marinade ingredients in bowl, marinate shrimp for 20 minutes.
2. Pat the shrimp dry with a paper towel. Wrap each shrimp in a eggroll/springroll wrapper half. Seal with cornstarch paste.
3. Fry in hot oil (375) for 3 minutes, until golden brown and shrimp is cooked through. Serve with sweet chili sauce for dipping.

You can see the lovely Jaden in action here:http://www.mysuncoast.com/Global/story.asp?s=8060523 Click on "featured video". That will show you how to roll up the shrimp.



The beautiful plate and matching bowl were made by Becky from Dirt Girl Pottery . I love her stuff. You can find her here: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5286233

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG! These look great! For a moment there, I though I was reading Jaden's blog! I'll have to try these one day too.

Anonymous said...

The food looks really great on the plate! You take such great photos of food Lisa!

SteamyKitchen said...

looks perfect! Thanks for trying recipe.