Monday, July 7, 2008

Chinese Sausage Fried Rice


Well I had a go at my second test recipe (I made the Firecracker Shrimp awhile back) for Jaden @ Jaden's Steamy Kitchens for her upcoming cookbook.
There is a little series of questions to answer so I will do that here:

1. Did the recipe sound interesting to you from reading the title? What about after you read the ingredient list? Sure did that's why I decided to make it.

2. Were all of the ingredients easy for you to find? If not, which ones were troublesome? If you made substitutions, what substitutions did you make? I have a local Asian Market not far from home, so finding the ingredients wasn't hard at all. Most I had on hand, the only thing I needed to buy was the Chinese sausage.


3. Did the instructions make sense to you? Do you think they would make sense to the average home cook? Was there any part of the recipe that needed clarification, or that you think could be explained in a more easily understandable manner? Made total sense to me. I even had my 13 year old read it and he said he understood it.

4. Were any techniques or procedures unfamiliar to you, or more work than you thought they would be? (or involve more effort) No, pretty easy actually. From pan to plate in less than 15 minutes total time. That's always a help for a busy Mom!

5. Were the times and temperatures associated with various steps correct? Perfect

6. What did you think of the completed dish? We all loved it! The flavor that the Chinese sausage gave this dish was delicious!
• Was this dish easy to make?
Very.
• Was it appealing to look at? If there is a photo posted, does your finished dish look similar?
I think it looks similar to yours, but your photos always look better than mine.
• Did it smell good?
Yup, made the teenager pry his eyes away from his computer long enough to ask..."what smells good Mom?"
• Did it taste good?
Very good!
• Was it what you expected it to be, in terms of appearance as well as taste? Yes.
• What did your friends/family think about the completed dish?
Family loved it. "You can make this again Mom" I think that says it all.
• Was the number of servings correct, and were the portions appropriate? Yes.
• Would you make this dish again?
Definitely, I will be making this again.
• On a scale of 1-10, rate this dish. What would make this dish EVEN BETTER? I really think it's perfect just the way it is. Any additions would just be a plus. I added in some leftover carrots and peas that I had, but you could really use up any of your leftovers with this dish. We loved it!!


My family really loved this fried rice. That Chinese sausage just gives it a wonderful flavor. I think I may need to go back to the Asian market and stock up on more! Oh I almost forgot, the most important tip - use day old rice - I used Jasmine rice, it really makes a difference!

3 comments:

SteamyKitchen said...

Great! Thanks! if you can copy and paste this into the test site, that would be great - it would help other testers to read your results.

Anonymous said...

This was a beautiful recipe. I love it.

Anonymous said...

Very good recipe, but unfortunately as with alot of chinese families, the sausage is usually left for birthdays and new years, so no testing this out for me...
Another use for the chinese sausage is to make your rice (preferably made in a rice cooker), and 3/4 of the way through, stick the sausages through the rice. The natural (salty) oil will seap into the rice, very tasty as is or with a bit of sweet soy sauce.
As well, if you can, try to buy ones that are made in Canada, for some absurd reason, it tastes so much better.
Just a little reminder though, too much of these babies WILL clog up your arteries, so don't go too heavy on it :)