Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Rustic Plum Tart

So I had a lot of plums. More plums they we were going to eat. Yes they were on sale. 79 cents a pound, how could I pass that up? I went a little overboard and bought a few too many so I decided to make a plum tart, a rustic plum tart cause I'm the kinda girl that just wouldn't make a fancy plum tart.

I used Elise's recipe for
Pâte Brisée All Butter Crust for Sweet and Savory Pies. I then researched for a plum filling and found one from Gourmet. It looked really simple:

1 pound plums
2/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 T cornstarch
2 t lemon juice

So I mixed all that up in a bowl and added my plums. Now maybe my plums were too ripe. They were very ripe indeed. I added in a pound of plums and it just looked too soupy. So I added in 2 more plums. That looked better. I mixed it all up and it still seemed too soupy so I just kind of let the juice run through my hands before I filled the pastry with them. I brushed the top with some milk and sprinkled on some demerara sugar and into a 375 degree oven it went.

It leaked a little in the oven. One of the sides seemed to blow out a bit, but that's ok. I kinda like the river of magenta and purple running down the side.

Tangy and tart and sweet and just fruity enough.

4 comments:

Vanessa said...

This looks wonderful!!

Anonymous said...

I love the look of this, so beautiful! Ireally think rustic is the way to go.

krysta said...

i like the river of juice!

Anonymous said...

Believe it or not, your beautiful rustic tart would go for HUGE bucks down here in LA. It's the kind of dessert that screams of honest home cooking that everyone loves.

Krysta is right, the river of juice is the "cherry on top"!