Sunday, August 17, 2008

Vanilla Chocolate Chip Cupcakes

It's been awhile since I made cupcakes. It's a pity really. Cupcakes are one of my most favorite things on earth. I love them so much that I am even contemplating getting a cupcake tattoo. No joke. I want this most favorite of all confections tattooed upon my body so I can have a little cupcake with me all the time. I've been thinking about it for quite a long time now. It's been about 6 years since I got my first tattoo (sun/moon on my ankle) and it's true what they say....they are addicting. As soon as I got my first one, I started thinking about the next one. I am still tempted and haven't given up on the thought that I need to get my Aerosmith "wings". For those non Aerosmith fanatics out there, you get your wings when you have the Aerosmith logo tattooed on yourself. That may be tattoo #3. My Mom reads this blog, so I'm sure she just sighed when she read that part. Move along Mom.

I do want a perfect little cupcake somewhere on my body. I haven't decided where yet, or what it will look like, or what color the frosting will be (I am leaning towards pink) but it will be adorable and have sprinkles, that I know for sure. For now I have to stick with the real thing.

Vanilla Chocolate Chip Cupcakes
Printable recipe
1 ½ cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1 ¼ cups sugar
1 stick unsalted butter, room temp
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
¾ cup milk
½ cup semi sweet chocolate chips

In a bowl whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.

In another bowl mix sugar and butter with an electric mixer until well combined. Beat in eggs one at a time. Mix well after each addition. Add vanilla. Alternately add in the flour and milk. Beat until smooth and stir in chocolate chips.

Fill lined muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake 18 – 20 minutes, or until golden brown and top springs back when touched. Let cool in pan 10 minutes then transfer to wire rack. Cool completely before frosting.

What I love about this icing is you don't need to break out a beater or mixer to make it. Just whisk!

Chocolate Mocha Icing
Printable recipe
1 ½ cups confectioner’s sugar
½ cup Dutch processed cocoa
3 tablespoons strong brewed coffee

Whisk together the sugar and cocoa. Add coffee and whisk until smooth.

Spread over cooled cupcakes.

This icing hardens up fast, so make sure your cupcakes are cooled and ready when you make it.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great shot, wow...love it!

Proud Italian Cook said...

I could drink that icing!!

Sandy said...

Oh, darn, I wish we weren't trying to stay away from sweets! LOL

Looks wonderful!

Dana said...

Ok. How have I never found your delicious blog before? I'll be back!

lubnakarim06 said...

Wow tempting cup cake. I love the choclate pouring down the cake.

cupcakelover said...

How many degrees do you have to preheat the oven to?

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

I'm sorry! 350! Thanks for noticing that!

Rebecca said...

Love this recipe! I've made 3 batches in 2 weeks. I thought 1 stick of butter was way too much, though. I used 1/2 stick and they were much lighter and even more delicious.

Arianna said...

I don't know if it was just me but the batter came out really runny so the chocolate chips sunk to the bottom. They're still edile and the taste is fabulous! Maybe I will try again with more flour?