Monday, January 4, 2010

Baked Breaded Chicken

baked chicken

It's been snowing for days here.

Small squalls, then some heavy bursts, a little rain, more snow, wind, etc. It's been a plethora of weather I tell ya. I used the word plethora cause my friend Mitch thinks it's such a cool word. Hope ya enjoyed that Mitchell.

So we've been indoors a lot. Cozied up on the couch in mountains of blankets, playing board games, listening to our favorite music, doing a little crafting, and eating leftovers. Lots of leftovers. The leftovers from Christmas are long gone. We then moved on to the New Years Eve leftovers. Those are just about finished too. Thank goodness.

I'm fooded out.

The holiday food fest is officially over, and I have to admit, I am a little relieved.

I love cooking and baking, and the seeing everyone enjoy what I've made, but in the days that follow Christmas & New Years, all I'm craving is a big salad and lots of veggies.

I really needed to stop eating out of Rubbermaid containers and be done with all it all.

We haven't had chicken in weeks, which is really unusual in this house, so I thought it was time to bake some up.

This is a recipe that I use when I want to quickly cook up some chicken to use as a meal and yes, as leftovers. Cold chicken sandwiches, diced into salads, or thrown into a quick soup.

Maybe my days of eating out of Rubbermaid aren't really over yet? *sigh*

baked chicken spices

Baked Breaded Chicken
Printable recipe
1 cup unseasoned breadcrumbs (I use Panko)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
4 tablespoons cornmeal
1 tablespoon Lawrys Seasoning Salt
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
1 teaspoon paprika
3 eggs, beaten
olive oil for drizzling

I used 4 large leg quarters and 2 whole breasts when I made this. You can use whatever chicken part you like, but I find the leg is always more flavorful than the breasts and are the first pieces gobbled up.

Mix all the ingredients except the eggs into a large bowl and lightly stir to combine.

Beat the eggs in a shallow bowl. Dip the chicken in the egg mixture and then into the breadcrumb mixture.

baked chicken 1

Once all the pieces are coated well, put them into the fridge for at least an hour. I find this helps the coating to stay on a bit better when baking.

Preheat the oven to 350 and bake on a sprayed, foiled lined baking sheet, 45 minutes or until the juices run clear.

I also drizzle a little olive oil over the chicken just before baking to make sure the coating doesn't dry out.

4 comments:

TKW said...

Panko is the best, isn't it? How did we survive without it for so long?

Hope the snow abates soon--winter can be looooong, can't it?

RebeccaH said...

Hi there, one of the ladies I share a cooking group shared your link I believe. I was catching up since yesterday I had a tax preparing class and things online had to slide a little. I follow several blogs that either garden and or cook. I am replacing my cooking recipe collection little by little since I lost all my beautiful cookbooks and recipes I had written and gotten from my mom in a fire. So I am real and supportive. Hope you enjoy your 'fame'. :)

Melissa said...

Tupperware may not be over yet, but at least you're looking at some cooler, lighter meals. I know what you mean about craving that.

Anonymous said...

oh, i was thinking of making something like this Thursday, just in the nick of time, eh?