Thursday, January 7, 2010

Make-Ahead Breakfast Casserole

We love big hearty weekend breakfasts.

Pancakes loaded with bluberries we picked over the summer.

Waffles topped with bananas and real maple syrup.

Eggs prepared just about any way you can make 'em.

We are a breakfast lovin' family.

We even have breakfast suppers some nights.

I saw this recipe over at
Or so she says and I knew that it would be a hit for my hungry men.

Breakfast Casserole bb


Breakfast Casserole eggs

Breakfast Casserole ready for fridge

This is Lindsay's husbands Grandma Pat's recipe. If it's a Grandma recipe, it's got to be good. You can check out Lindsay's blog
Our Family Treat.

I love that you can use up whatever leftovers you have in the fridge and that you can make it the night before. I used whole wheat bread and some of the leftover Chritmas ham, but the combinations of what you can use are endless.

Next time I'm thinking, bacon, onions and Monterey jack, or maybe spinach, sausage and Swiss?

Breakfast Casserole
12 slices of bread
18 oz of shredded cheese
(I didn't measure my cheese, I just sprinkled it on generously)
1 pound of your favorite meat
(Again I didn't measure, I just layered it on)
Cooked vegetable of your choice (none this time for us, for shame)
8-10 Eggs (I used 10)
Salt and Pepper
Butter

Butter one side of all the bread slices. Place 6 slices of bread, buttered side down in a 9x13 inch pan. Top your choice of meat, veggies and cheese.

Place the other 6 slices of bread, buttered side up, on the top. Beat 8-10 eggs in a bowl. Add salt and pepper. Pour the eggs into the casserole dish, making sure to cover all the bread with th beaten eggs. Cover the pan in foil and refrigerate over night.

Keep the foil on and bake at 350 for 1 hour. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 1/2 hour, or until the bread is nicely browned. Let sit for 5 minutes, cut and serve.

The whole house smelled like breakfast while this was cooking. The bread browned up and got nice and toasty. It was like eating a thick grilled cheese.

Breakfast Casserole coll
*printable recipes is on the blink, so cut and paste this time, sorry!

8 comments:

noble pig said...

Oh wow, this is a winner!!

Clements Family said...

Oh how exciting...thanks for sharing my recipe!

TKW said...

Looks great and easy!

The Internet Cooking Princess said...

Your photos (and food) look so incredible! Love them!

Becki's Whole Life said...

That is so different for a breakfast casserole - my husband would love it. Its kind of like breakfast sandwich casserole - Yum!

June said...

Your photos just capture for me what it means to be in the kitchen, the bright act of each step. Thank you, Lisa! And what could be better than breakfast already made and just waiting to be popped into the oven? It's why I love our Christmas-morning cinnamon rolls...the first gift of the day.

Thought of you on all our snowy days...knew you would be cozy with your wonderful guys!

Lots of love from Maine...

Hullabaloo Homestead said...

I don't eat meat, but the last two posts have got my mouth watering. The pics make me want to jump in and try some. I'm a breakfast lover by heart too. As a kid I always enjoyed breakfast for dinner, especially pancakes...anytime!!

:)Lisa

Attic Rags said...

I mase this today and the famliy loved it Thanks for a great recipe